Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bury St Edmunds

AJJ

I am well aware of everything you write about regarding Christchurch Priory as I have a colleague who lives close by who plays recitals there sometimes.

In which case I may know this person, since I was Assistant Organist at the Priory for two years several years ago. In fact I played for all three services on Low Sunday (since I was not required at the Minster on this day). Apparently I played too quietly - a rare event....

"Which is another incorrect assumption. I have in fact played....etc"

I'm sorry for my assumption, I hope your busy Sunday went well and wasn't frustrated by my outrageous opinions.

greetings

Bazuin

Fair enough.

My Sunday went as well as could be expected, since I had been up until 03h the previous night playing on-line games and posting on this board - and playing with my new laptop! However, tonight's Evensong was particularly good: Howells' Collegium Regale - yum!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" I would suggest that the Coventry organ is no mere progeny from a diluted or mis-understood ideal of the organ reform movement."

To an extent of course it is precisely that. This is unavoidable, virtually every large eclectic organ built in the UK at that time was. On the one hand the high mixtures, fractional length reeds, mutations, on the other the lack of functioning organ cases, mechanical action etc.

Of course, the lack of functioning organ cases is by no means just a modern phenomenon. None other than Father Willis took the view that his contract was to build the organ and, if you wanted a case as well, that was your pidgin (this from Bill Drake).

• 2 years later...
Absolutely! And, if H&H's recent work is anything to go by, there's an extremely good chance of a really musical and beautiful result at B St E which is appropriate to its surroundings and function.

Not sure if there's a more up-to-date discussion thread, but the new instrument is now in use.

http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/music/organ

The Cathedral Organ Festival 2011

http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/images/sto...let%20final.pdf

Not sure if there's a more up-to-date discussion thread, but the new instrument is now in use.

http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/music/organ

The Cathedral Organ Festival 2011

http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/images/sto...let%20final.pdf

Is anyone aware whether or not visitors are welcomed at the console, likewise at the Parish Church with its equally large instrument? We are going to be in Bury St.Edmunds on holiday in August, and both organs would be a highlight!

CP

• 1 month later...
Is anyone aware whether or not visitors are welcomed at the console, likewise at the Parish Church with its equally large instrument? We are going to be in Bury St.Edmunds on holiday in August, and both organs would be a highlight!

CP

I believe the organ is finished, and the new cases are installed. From the website, they look spectacular.

James Thomas, the Director of Music, is a very nice fellow. I'm sure he would be hospitable unless there was something on that made it impossible. I don't know who is at St. Mary's just down the street these days, but it used to be easy enough to get access to the organ by prior arrangement. Incidentally, Comper designed cases for this one, but they were never built.

I believe the organ is finished, and the new cases are installed. From the website, they look spectacular.

James Thomas, the Director of Music, is a very nice fellow. I'm sure he would be hospitable unless there was something on that made it impossible. I don't know who is at St. Mary's just down the street these days, but it used to be easy enough to get access to the organ by prior arrangement. Incidentally, Comper designed cases for this one, but they were never built.

Thanks for that, I will make some enquiries in due course.

CP

• 2 months later...

Choral Evensong on R3 today came from St. Edmundsbury Cathedral.

The new organ sounds as good as it looks and the service is well worth listening to on Sunday's repeat when the satellite link problems we suffered this afternoon won't affect the sound quality.

The closing voluntary was by Howells to save some the bother of tuning in... :P