Mander Organ Builders Forum

Happy Easter!

Peter Clark

For many, if not miost, here, this is probably the busiest time of the year - persdonally I greatly prefer it to Christmas. Holy Week snd Easter seem to offer so much more musically than Christmas - but this is hardly surprising since Easter has always been the most important of the great feasts.

So everyone have a HAPPY EASTER!!

Peter

And to you Peter.

What organ music are the members of this board playing?

Or indeed, what are their choirs singing?

My voluntary at the end of the Vigil Mass tonight will be Langlais' Incantation pour un Jour Saint - we will have sung all the chants used by Langlais in this piece earlier in the Mass. The Mass setting itself is relatively straightforward, being the "Coventry" setting, a joint effort between Paul Inwood, Bernadette Farrell and Peter Jones. It was used when Pope John Paul II visited Britain in 1982 and celebrated mass in Coventry. The psalm settings: 2 are mine, and two by a friend of mine, Eugene Monaghan IC, a priest of the Rosminian order. We are also using, as an anthem-motet/chant during the procession of those to be baptised and/or confirmed Christopher Walker's majestic Veni Sancte Spiritus, a macoronic setting of the words by Stephen Langdon (d 1228). Tomorow there will be a slightly modified (and shortened) version of the same programme

Peter

Just looking out of the window, I wonder if anyone who decided to sing 'My Beloved Spake' tomorrow- '...for lo, the winter is past...' ;) has changed their mind...

Perhaps improv. variations on 'I'm dreaming of a White Easter' might be an idea...?

Seasons greetings!

And to you Peter.

Church I'm playing at tomorrow are singing the Ley 'The strife is o'er' - voluntary is the Guilmant 'Paraphrase sur un Choeur de Judas Maccabee de Handel' to mirror the last hymn. [How can I make this thing put an acute accent in - anyone know??]

Happy Easter to everyone! And I'm retiring from my day job next week too!

R.

Acute accents, on a PC, are particularly simple: just Alt-Gr + the vowel. Alt-Gr is the key to the right of the space bar. And you can put a messed-up post right by clicking the Edit button on it...

Paul

Acute accents, on a PC, are particularly simple: just Alt-Gr + the vowel. Alt-Gr is the key to the right of the space bar. And you can put a messed-up post right by clicking the Edit button on it...

Paul

Thanks Paul!

R.

I would also like to wish everyone a very Happy Easter! I agree, the music is pretty special during Holy Week!

At my church the choir has sung:

Good Friday:

Lotti - Crucifixus

Sanders - Reproaches

Victoria - O Vos Omnes

Morley - Nolo Mortem Peccatoris

John of Portugal - Crux Fidelis

Holy Saturday:

Ceasar - Missa Brevis

Taverner - Dum Transisset Sabbatum

Easter Sunday:

Morning:

Darke - Communion Service in E

Walford Davies - O Sons and Daughters let us sing

Arr. Wood - This Joyful Eastertide

Evensong (With Solemn Benediction):

Rose - Responses

Stanford - Psalm 150

Stanford - Magnificat and Nunc Dimmitis in A Major

S.S. Wesley - Blessed be the God and Father

Howells - Te Deum - Collegium Regale (This being my favourite piece in the world ;):) )

Then we're on holiday! What will I do with myself!?

Kind Regards,

Richard

Sorry i forgot to put what i was doing!

Sunday Evensong is the Highlight

Ayleward

Psalm 114/117

Brewer in D

Awake thou wintry earth.

Stanford B Flat Tedeum

Voluntaries on sunday are the Mulet Carillon-Sortie in the morning, and the Dupre Resurrection from Symphonie-Passion in the evening.

The Dupré has been the hardest thing i have ever learnt, but so rewarding.

When i was singing treble, we always had a 'standard' easter evensong

Smith Reponses

114/117

Dyson in D

Blessed be the God and Father

Stanford Te Deum

Those were the days...

Well to add my twopennyworth.

We've got in the morning:

Stanford: Ye choirs of new Jerusalem

Llewellyn's arrangement of This Joyful Eastertide

sadly gone are the days of singing a choral setting except midweek,

but Evensong is even better:

Byrd: Terra Tremuit

Rose Responses

Dyson in D

Wesley: Blessed be the God and Father

Vierne: Carillon de Westminster

However, we're not on holiday for another week or so, Surrey have change their school holidays!

Jonathan

Just looking out of the window, I wonder if anyone who decided to sing 'My Beloved Spake' tomorrow- '...for lo, the winter is past...' :) has changed their mind...

Perhaps improv. variations on 'I'm dreaming of a White Easter' might be an idea...?

Seasons greetings!

Hi

Greetings from a rather snowy Bradford - just got back from the Sunrise Service and trying to warm up!

Every Blessing

Tony

Easter Greetings! - and it is even snowing here.

AJJ

PS Prelude 'Missa Orbis Factor' (Langlais) before and Hommage à Langlais (Nicholas Jackson - based on an improvisation by JL on This Joyful...) after 10.00 HC. This Joyful...and Now the Green Blade...(with instant AJJ organ part and 'continuation' à la Langlais) during the Communion.

Since stepping down from my church post some 18 months ago, I missed most of last Easter thanks to being abroad in Egypt, and, as I'm a pretty poor member of a congregation, in the end decided mainly to keep Holy Week over the airwaves this year. I must say that the services from St Thomas Fifth Avenue have been of the highest standard, from the drama of the Tenebrae with its Strepitus thunder at the end, to the 2hr 30 min Easter Vigil- both are still available to listen again, together with the rest of the services. I dipped into the Vigil at St Peter's Rome via video, which streamed well, but the Exultet seemed to run to about 15 minutes, and the Organ fanfare was rather underwhelming (in contrast to the StThomas proclamation of Easter, which was stunning- just as it should be done!) I tried Notre Dame, but there was unfortunately an error on their streaming video.

I had planned to attend my old church today (we remain on excellent terms!) but my car battery decided not to play ball, so I've been stuck again- perhaps it's trying to tell me I should have been driving far and wide in search of spiritual nourishment instead of doing so on line!

However it gave me a chance to watch Liverpool Met, which was well done, with a nice balance of chant, big hymns, a less well-known setting (Ives Missa Brevis) and a nice arrangement of 'Walking in a garden' by Tim Noon (wonder if this might be available, he thinks aloud, knowing that the afore-mentioned arranger drops into this forum occasionally). Incidentally, how long have the Met choir stalls been in a Dec/Can arrangement? It must be ten years since I was last there, and they were then in an arc.

St Thomas are doing their Easter Morning mass live twice today!

Just Winchester CE on BBC R3 to go...

Guest Patrick Coleman
Good grief! One of the only Easter Bunnies that has not had its head bitten off. All the ones round here have been attacked by the children hours ago!!

I thought it was an Easter pussy! :)

Well not being very advanced musically, the choir did a service of readings and music for Holy Week on Palm Sunday. We sang:

God So Loved the World (Bob Chilcott)

Meekness and Majesty (Graham Kendrick, arr. Martin How)

What Wondrous Love (David Stevens)

There's a Wideness in God's Mercy (Maurice Bevan)

Drop, Drop Slow Tears (Gibbons)

How Deep the Father's Love (Townend, arr. Shackley)

We don't have a Maundy Thursday or Good Friday service. This morning, the choir sang From the squalor of a borrowed stable (Immanuel)

And tonight, we're doing In Christ Alone

David

And to you Peter.

Happy post Easter rest to one and all!

Over the last few days we've done the following:

Palm Sunday

AM

Valet Will BWV 736 JSB

Hosannah to the Son of David Weelkes

Christus factus est Bruckner

Cruxifixion (Symph-Passion) Dupre

PM Crucifixion Stainer

Weds

Compline with first performance of piece written to go with a newly commissioned piece of art work. (You can read about it in the Church Times here.)

M Thurs:

O Lamm Gottes BWV656 JSB

Missa Brevis Palestrina

Christ, user Herr, zum Jordan kam BWV 684 & BWV 685 JSB (During washing of feet)

Ave Verum Byrd

Psalm 22 (Howells)

G Friday

Meditation at the foot of the cross

O Mensch bewein BWV 622 JSB

Agnus dei a 4 Byrd

There is a green hill Sumsion

My God, My God Blow

Drop, drop slow tears Gibbons (the 'Silver swan' version not the hymn)

Evening

Lo the full, final sacrifice Finzi

Requiem Durufle

Easter Vigil

Ecce jam noctis Healey Willan

Gloria (Missa Brevis) Palestrina

Haec Dies Byrd

Joie et Clarte des Corps Glorieux Messiaen

Easter AM

Grave (Piece d'Orgue) a la francaise JSB

Haec Dies Byrd

Worthy is the Lamb & Amen Handel