Mander Organ Builders Forum

Percy Daniel Offshoot?

DaveHarries

Hi,

Earlier today I took a look at the organ of St. James the Great, Westerleigh, South Gloucestershire and found a nice 16-stop organ by JG Haskins from 1910. However, upon looking at the front of the tuner logbook that was on the console I found the address label on the front read as follows:

---------------------

Clevedon Organs (Tuning) Ltd.

Clevedon Organs (UK) Ltd.

Clevedon Organ Group,

156 West Malvern Road,

Malvern,

WR14 4NQ

---------------------

Underneath this label could be seen the address of Percy Daniel. But I had never heard of Clevedon Organ group until today. Has anyone? I wondered if they were an offshoot of Percy Daniel in cosideration of their name. Info welcome.

Dave

Hi,

Earlier today I took a look at the organ of St. James the Great, Westerleigh, South Gloucestershire and found a nice 16-stop organ by JG Haskins from 1910. However, upon looking at the front of the tuner logbook that was on the console I found the address label on the front read as follows:

---------------------

Clevedon Organs (Tuning) Ltd.

Clevedon Organs (UK) Ltd.

Clevedon Organ Group,

156 West Malvern Road,

Malvern,

WR14 4NQ

---------------------

Underneath this label could be seen the address of Percy Daniel. But I had never heard of Clevedon Organ group until today. Has anyone? I wondered if they were an offshoot of Percy Daniel in cosideration of their name. Info welcome.

Dave

Hi

They are currently taking full page adverts in "Organists' Review". Looks like an almagum of te remains of 3 companies.

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi

They are currently taking full page adverts in "Organists' Review". Looks like an almagum of te remains of 3 companies.

Every Blessing

Tony

Tony,

Very interesting. Do we know which three? I suppose the remains of Daniels and Cawstons (I didn't know Cawston had been taken over) are mixed up in it?

Dave

The advert quotes three contact points:

Clevedon Organs (UK) Ltd for Wales/Central regions

Clevedon Organs (Tuning) Ltd for Bristol/Glos. regions

Clevedon Pipe organ Services for Clevedon/SW regions

Each has a different phone number. The first has a Malvern area code, the other two are mobiles.

Guest Barry Williams

Tony Cawston was (and probably still is) a very good organ builder.

It would be helpful to know something about this new organisation and in particular the training of the staff. If they are good they need to be given a chance.

Barry Williams

Tony Cawston is still very much in operation. I think Clevedon organs comes from when his ex-colleague (whose name I have forgotten) split off from him and bought out Percy Daniels which subsequently went into receivership. So Cawstons and Clevedon organs are entirely separate.

Tony Cawston is still very much in operation. I think Clevedon organs comes from when his ex-colleague (whose name I have forgotten) split off from him and bought out Percy Daniels which subsequently went into receivership. So Cawstons and Clevedon organs are entirely separate.

But didn't he sell his business?

But didn't he sell his business?

Tony Cawston traded as E A Cawstons until his associate took over the business, the company then being called Cawston Organs. This company took over Percy Daniels and, not long after, went into receivership. The Clevedon Organ Company was then set up, and employs some of the former staff of Percy Daniels, but under completely new management. Tony Cawston now works on his own again, as E A Cawstons. He still looks after (or should I say does battle with) Bristol Cathedral organ.

Clear as mud!

Paul Walton

Assistant Organist, Bristol Cathedral

• 1 year later...
The advert quotes three contact points:

Clevedon Organs (UK) Ltd for Wales/Central regions

Clevedon Organs (Tuning) Ltd for Bristol/Glos. regions

Clevedon Pipe organ Services for Clevedon/SW regions

Each has a different phone number. The first has a Malvern area code, the other two are mobiles.

Pardon me for rejuvinating this topic.

I see from the internet that the third operation appears to be located in Chard and also now has a landline number.

Dave

Tony Cawston was (and probably still is) a very good organ builder.

It would be helpful to know something about this new organisation and in particular the training of the staff. If they are good they need to be given a chance.

Barry Williams

I know that two of the members are trained in organbuilding (I used to work with one of them). I've come across two of their recent overhauls and they seem to be doing very well so far.

I know that two of the members are trained in organbuilding (I used to work with one of them). I've come across two of their recent overhauls and they seem to be doing very well so far.

Clevedon Organs rebuilt my instrument currently offered for sale elsewhere on this forum. They did an excellent job. Moreover, correspondence and quotations for work were professional and timely. Anthony Hall (the MD) is ex-Nicholsons and absolutely first rate.