Mander Organ Builders Forum

Calch Jarvis/charles Dawes

Peter Clark

Ian Tracey has recorded Meditation "Suo Gan" by Calch Jarvis and Melody in A (confusingly played in G) by Charles Dawes on a demo CD for a certain pipeless organ company. But they are quite charming little pieces and I wonder if anyone knows them, has the scores or knows where I can buy the scores. Google comes up with a big zero as does Musicroom.

Thanks

Peter

Ian Tracey has recorded Meditation "Suo Gan" by Calch Jarvis and Melody in A (confusingly played in G) by Charles Dawes on a demo CD for a certain pipeless organ company. But they are quire charming little pieces and I wonder if anyone knows them, has the scores or knows where I can buy the scores. Google comes up with a big zero as does Musicroom.

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

The composers name is Caleb (E.) Jarvis. I have a vague recollection of something of his having been published by Peters / Hinrichsen and there were other pieces in - but now long since- out-of-print

regards

Philip

The composers name is Caleb (E.) Jarvis.

Wasn't Dr. Jarvis a predecessor of Ian Tracey, as organist at St. George's Hall, Liverpool?

Presumably Ian could advise where one might be able to obtain a score.

Guest Cynic
Ian Tracey has recorded Meditation "Suo Gan" by Calch Jarvis and Melody in A (confusingly played in G) by Charles Dawes on a demo CD for a certain pipeless organ company. But they are quite charming little pieces and I wonder if anyone knows them, has the scores or knows where I can buy the scores. Google comes up with a big zero as does Musicroom.

Thanks

Peter

According to John Henderson's wonderful book 'A Directory of Composers for Organ' four pieces by Caleb Jarvis were published in 1962 by Lengnick (the set includes your Welsh Hymn-Prelude) 1962 is not all that long ago. Do you still subscribe to the RCO, Peter? If so, their librarian ought to be able to provide you with a photocopy if Lengnick no longer have them.

I remember being taken to St.George's Hall in the mid 1970s and heard a recital by Caleb Jarvis - I remember it being a meaty programme with some tidy playing, but this was difficult to hear since the tiled floor was on display (it is usually hidden) and the acoustic was like the largest of municipal bath houses!

Charles Dawes does not have an entry in Henderson, is there any chance you've got the name slightly wrong? Sorry if this is an offensive suggestion!

Professor Tracey is an approachable man, have you tried asking him directly yourself? This might well be worth a go. We were told recently how one of our number was going to approach the most prestigious organ-building company in the country (saving our good hosts) for help - being frank, I think you stand a much greater chance with IT than he did with them!!!

Writing to players asking about scores is not that an unusual thing to do, I've done it a few times and several people have approached me in a similar way. Sometimes you get no answer of any kind, but anyone of IT's stature must have had a few letters by now, so won't be that surprised.

Sometimes you get no answer of any kind

I wrote to a well-known musician about the parts for an unpublished contemporaneous arrangement with string accompaniment of a Haydn cantata better known in its original piano version. He had recorded it, and a pupil wanted to perform it.

When I got no answer I searched out a facsimile of the original (BBC Music Library, plus Library of Congress for the missing page), edited it myself, performed it, and then got it published - my only print publication, indeed :-) And I found on the way that his version was poorly edited to boot!

Paul

Guest Roffensis

Thanks

Peter

As far as I know the Suo Gan is out of print. I have a copy however!........

R