Mander Organ Builders Forum

Bbc Music Magzine Cd

Colin Harvey

If you haven't bought this month's BBC Music Magazine with David Brigg's CD of Vierne 3 and Widor 5 at Saint Serin, Toulouse, it comes highly recommended!! The playing is DB's usual magasterial standard (so excellent in every respect), the organ is fantastic and the recording is superb - clear and yet dramatic. I prefer DB's performance of the Vierne to the excellent Jeremy Filsell - the recording quality is much better and it's much clearer.

In addition to the 2 organ symphonies, there is an improvisation by DB on the bell chimes at St Sernin. Compositionally, it is a match for any of the movements in either of the symphonies!

The only error I can spot is that, according to the CD cover notes, it was recorded on 23 & 24 of October 2008!!

If you haven't bought this month's BBC Music Magazine with David Brigg's CD of Vierne 3 and Widor 5 at Saint Serin, Toulouse, it comes highly recommended!! The playing is DB's usual magasterial standard (so excellent in every respect), the organ is fantastic and the recording is superb - clear and yet dramatic. I prefer DB's performance of the Vierne to the excellent Jeremy Filsell - the recording quality is much better and it's much clearer.

In addition to the 2 organ symphonies, there is an improvisation by DB on the bell chimes at St Sernin. Compositionally, it is a match for any of the movements in either of the symphonies!

Yes, wonderful playing - what a bargain!

I much enjoyed the improvisation, but I wonder what you mean by "Compositionally, it is a match for any of the movements in either of the symphonies!" Did you get a bit carried away in your enthusiasm or did you really mean that?

Stephen Barber

In addition to the 2 organ symphonies, there is an improvisation by DB on the bell chimes at St Sernin. Compositionally, it is a match for any of the movements in either of the symp honies!

The only error I can spot is that, according to the CD cover notes, it was recorded on 23 & 24 of October 2008!!

Yes, a great CD and good publicity for the organ; pity though that the Liszt feature didn't go into detail about his organ works - a missed opportunity, given the prominence given the instrument by the CD, about which I intend to contact the editor.

Another dating error - completed prize crossword solutions should be sent to the magazine by the middle of March!

Peter