Mander Organ Builders Forum

Nearly There Now

Barry Jordan

Hi everybody,

the new organ here will be finished next week - thanks in part to John Mander and Michael Blighton, who have had made and voiced a new tuba for us. Applause.

I've put up some rather poor pictures of the interior of the instrument at http://www.magdeburgerdommusik.de/html/inside_the_organ.html

and some quite good ones, which hve the disadvantag of having me in them, but which give a good idea of the console and of the way the case appears from the church at http://www.magdeburgerdommusik.de/html/downloads.html

Do have a look and rejoice with me.

Cheers

Barry

Hi everybody,

the new organ here will be finished next week - thanks in part to John Mander and Michael Blighton, who have had made and voiced a new tuba for us. Applause.

I've put up some rather poor pictures of the interior of the instrument at http://www.magdeburgerdommusik.de/html/inside_the_organ.html

and some quite good ones, which hve the disadvantag of having me in them, but which give a good idea of the console and of the way the case appears from the church at http://www.magdeburgerdommusik.de/html/downloads.html

Do have a look and rejoice with me.

Cheers

Barry

=========================

David Coram was thinking about organising a day out for us.

We could have a sort of mass rejoicing in Magdeburg. Anyone know how to get there?

Brilliant news Barry, and congratulations.

MM

Oh my word!! What a huge organ!!

No seriously, it all looks very good indeed. Good luck with it all - it looks very exciting! Well done!

On a slightly train-spottery note, I notice there is a lack of a pedal mixture and pedal 4 4/7 septieme on an organ that otherwise has everything and then some... Sorry, I'll just go back to my magazines of serial numbers....

Yes, a visit would be very exciting... David, you up for organising something? :blink:

No seriously, it all looks very good indeed. Good luck with it all - it looks very exciting! Well done!

On a slightly train-spottery note, I notice there is a lack of a pedal mixture and pedal 4 4/7 septieme on an organ that otherwise has everything and then some... Sorry, I'll just go back to my magazines of serial numbers....

Yes, a visit would be very exciting... David, you up for organising something? :blink:

Sleasy Jet gets you from Luton to Berlin-Schönefeld for a few quid in an hour or so, then its 90 minutes on the train.

Come to think of it, what about any of you who interested coming over on Friday, 25th July, listening to John Scott playing it, spending the rest of the weekend here and letting me show you around some of the other interesting instruments around here?

Cheers

B

Yes, a visit would be very exciting... David, you up for organising something? :ph34r:

==========================

No Pedal Mixture?

A Tuba?

No Septieme?

Next thing we know, Pierre will be calling for an Arthur Harrison Harmonics on the Pedal Organ.

There is no God!

MM

Sleasy Jet gets you from Luton to Berlin-Schönefeld for a few quid in an hour or so, then its 90 minutes on the train.

Come to think of it, what about any of you who interested coming over on Friday, 25th July, listening to John Scott playing it, spending the rest of the weekend here and letting me show you around some of the other interesting instruments around here?

Cheers

B

That sounds very tempting, especially as I have a birthday that weekend. I wonder if I could persuade Mrs. Gedeckt...... :ph34r:

Hi everybody,

I'd like to disagree with this opinion. They are far superior to the majority of organ photos that I have seen on the web.

Cheers

B

I'd be very happy to take up such a splendid offer - maybe others, too.

(For me it would be an intriguing and worthwhile stop en route to the GdO Conference in Konstanz from 27 July to 2 August).

JS

Wow this is certainly a very impressive looking Organ Barry! How would you describe the overall style of this instrument? (you never can tell for sure by looking at the specification alone). :rolleyes:

Romantich symphonic, also good for the moderns. Although that wasn't the main point, it is contrapuntally clear and gives a good account of Bach too. Fairly useless for north German romantic, which however works well on the neo-baroque transept organ.

Hard to typify really; the idea was to try to invent an "international romantic" style. I suppose if the Principlas sound as though they were modelled on anyone else's work, it would be Ladegast. But the reeds are totally different, except for the two free reeds.

Cheers

Barry

I'd be very happy to take up such a splendid offer - maybe others, too.

(For me it would be an intriguing and worthwhile stop en route to the GdO Conference in Konstanz from 27 July to 2 August).

JS

So would I! What would be the cost of the trip?

I would probably bring my camera which has a YouTube mode on it as I am quite certain that a video (with sound) of this organ would get plenty of viewing.

Dave

So would I! What would be the cost of the trip?

I would probably bring my camera which has a YouTube mode on it as I am quite certain that a video (with sound) of this organ would get plenty of viewing.

Dave

A 'little clicking' shows Air Berlin (Stansted-Tegel) at £77 and EasyJet (Luton-Schönefeld) also at £77 - or maybe cheaper, depending on the time of day.

Bus from Tegel airport to Berlin Hauptbahnhof costs 2 euros, ditto from Schönefeld (though some trains may possibly stop there en route to Magdeburg).

www.bahn.de doesn't show the fare for Berlin Hbf-Magdeburg Hbf (at least 2 trains an hour), but I can't imagine the return would be more than 50-60 euros for a 90-minute trip, as German trains are cheaper than ours (and they run on time!).

Add to that the accommodation costs indicated by Barry, and you have your answer.

JS

A 'little clicking' shows Air Berlin (Stansted-Tegel) at £77 and EasyJet (Luton-Schönefeld) also at £77 - or maybe cheaper, depending on the time of day.

Bus from Tegel airport to Berlin Hauptbahnhof costs 2 euros, ditto from Schönefeld (though some trains may possibly stop there en route to Magdeburg).

www.bahn.de doesn't show the fare for Berlin Hbf-Magdeburg Hbf (at least 2 trains an hour), but I can't imagine the return would be more than 50-60 euros for a 90-minute trip, as German trains are cheaper than ours (and they run on time!).

Add to that the accommodation costs indicated by Barry, and you have your answer.

JS

Just for the record (no definite takers, John, apart from you!), the bus X9 from Tegel gets you to Zoo station. From Schoenefeld, you take the suburban train to Berlin Ost and change there. It costs € 26.50 all in.

Just in case this might help anyone else to take the plunge, let me spell out what I had in mind: Friday evening, concert with JS, glass of wine in the cloisters afterwards and then a dinner somewhere with JS, who is usually game for this sort of thing. Sleep a bit. Saturday morning: Niederndodelen, organ by Schnitgers apprentice Hartmann, containing material from Esaias Compenius. Return to Magdeburg, catholic cathedral, Eule 2005 (III/56). Trip to Tangermünde for the afternoon recital on the Scherer organ of 1623. A beer....

Sunday: trip to Brandenburg: Reubke organ in Kyritz an der Knatter (the only still extant larger instrument by Julius Reubkes father), Wagner organ in Wusterhausen or Brandenburg cathedral.

And on that note: Manders tuba arrived here on Monday and it is spectacularly good!

Cheers

Barry