Mander Organ Builders Forum

Consoles

Guest Leathered-Lips

Guest Leathered-Lips
May I suggest you approach Dame Gillian Weir for advice on this matter.  It is rumoured she has sometimes played with a hot water bottle strapped to her back, perhaps for ballast.  I don't think she hangs out here very often, though.

I fear that could NOT be true - How VERY dare you!

A revered dame of such proportions would doubtless come a cropper at the console with all that extra old baggage.

Actually I think Dame Edna would be a more appropriate choice and she's better proportioned. It's all in the name you see. She knows the best position for a "Possum 8''" upon the Great, and Madge could do the stops. :D

Every good wish

Edna von Klinkerhoffen

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, leathered lips. You are a delight to this board. :D

I'd suggest a reduction in your upperwork. It is very strange that you have such OTT upperwork with your leathered lips. Was your inception in the 60s or 70s by any chance?

I understand the fashion now is for more body and support these days - Brustwerk is so yesterday and we have much more closed tips these days.

Well, leathered lips. You are a delight to this board. :D

I'd suggest a reduction in your upperwork. It is very strange that you have such OTT upperwork with your leathered lips. Was your inception in the 60s or 70s by any chance?

I understand the fashion now is for more body and support these days - Brustwerk is so yesterday and we have much more closed tips these days.

Additionally, I have been asked to ask you if you have any horizontal specialities?

Guest Leathered-Lips
Well, leathered lips. You are a delight to this board. :unsure:

I'm afraid my inception was back in the 1940s, just after the war. I was an evacuee from Wigan and I was relocated to Skegness with my sister Maud where we both learned to tickle the ivories on piano, with all the old war songs of the day and Scott Joplin. Bloody Germans! It feels just like yesterday you know...ah memories!

In my more youthful years during the 60's and 70's my upper work was admired by all and sundry both in and out of the church. But these days however, fashions change, and it seems to have lost its appeal. It has to be said that my upperwork does not seem to sparkle as it once did, although I would love someone to come along and firm it up a little. I went to great pains to ensure that my leathered lips were were complemented, rather than swamped by, my illustrious upper-work. Then along came a nice man called Walter, who swept me off my feet. We'd sit round playing the piano til all hours of the night, and Walt would try to pour his whisky down my blouse...those were the days.

...It has to be said that my upperwork does not seem to sparkle as it once did, although I would love someone to come along and firm it up a little...

I understand that the fashion is for more foundational support these days and less upperwork. You could have your organ rebalanced this way with a bit of a rebuild - I understand the process is called "Romantisising your organ".

There are some skilled men around that could romantisise your organ very well - our kind host, John Mander, would be one and I could recommend the services of a few others. I would go to someone reputable - otherwise you could end up with something very nasty that just won't last.

Well I fear that my old girl may well be due for a bit of tweaking, and it may well be worth tendering the services of a few prospective tweakers including our very kind host perhaps. This warrents further investigation. But I would hope in doing so that nobody would ever suggest removing my hand bag stop. Deary-me, no. I'd have to start using one of the choir instead.

Edna

X

But the Dulciana chorus belongs to the Choir organ!

Do you need one more on the Great? Or even worse, the Swell? This

would be out of place. The Swell needs Salicional+Vox angelica

(tuned flat). Or it would be as schocking as to have Jenkins serving the

tea at 17.20' instead of 17.15', isn't it?

Best wishes,

Pete Flowers.

But the Dulciana chorus belongs to the Choir organ!

Do you need one more on the Great? Or even worse, the Swell? This

would be out of place. The Swell needs Salicional+Vox angelica

(tuned flat). Or it would be as schocking as to have Jenkins serving the

tea at 17.20' instead of 17.15', isn't it?

Best wishes,

Pete Flowers.

In his piece in the Little Organ book in memory of Hubert Parry, Harold Darke calls for the Great Dulciana at the end. It's quite an important moment and the dulciana is just perfect for it. And you'd be accompayning it on the swell organ. So I'm afraid it's not as prescriptive as our flower boy says... But he is Belgian and I hope I can find it in myself to forgive him...