Mander Organ Builders Forum

Great Cathedral Organ Series - Emi

Peter Clark

Individually the stops at St Andrew's are all very good, apart from the indifferent diapasons. It is the fundamental philosophy of the organ that is flawed.

I rather suspect that the Hele organ that was destroyed in 1941 was superior, if only because it was founded upon a three-decker Gray & Davison of 1859. But I wasn't there, so what do I know?

Fair nuff!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Roffensis
I have seen the complete series at a friends, both in stereo amd mono. The only piece that amphion could not re issue was the Elgar Sonata at Gloucester because EMI in there wisom had already re issued it and knew what a historical recording it was,,,, or so I have been informed reliably

regards

Peter

Amphion did not reissue all the GCOS. It is true about the Sumsion/Elgar, and note the total abscence of Kynaston/Westminster Cathedral (CSD 3648, a gem). As to the other 17 LPs, quite good chunks were reissued, but with some good stuff left off, including ALL the Mendelssohn Sonatas, from 6 Cathedrals. I understand there were reasons for this, and Amphion are to be congratulated for their final choice of pieces that werereissued, a choice that was obviously informed and musical. I wonder the original complete set of 19 records will ever see light of day on CD, but who knows? Ditto the huge archive of Vista, and Saga. I have always considered the 60s to be a golden age of recording, and not just for Organ. Orchestral stuff reaches the parts that other modern recordings just don't. Today it more about quantity rather than quality. Give me for example, one Allan Wicks recording that was bad! There weren't any!

R

I have the Westminster Abbey/Douglas Guest LP - now very badly worn, unfortunately. It has:

Bach: Toccata in C major (BWV 564)

Festing (arr. Thalben-Ball): Largo, Allegro, Aria & Two Variations

Tomkins: Voluntary; Fancy; In nomine

Mendelssohn: Sonata no.4

Howells: Saraband [in modo elegiaco]

Howells: Preludio "Sine Nomine"

Rheinberger: Introduction & Passacaglia (Sonata no.8)

I had a soft spot for Guest's interpretation of the Rheinberger. I wish Amphion would reissue that.

Amphion did not reissue all the GCOS. ......... and note the total abscence of Kynaston/Westminster Cathedral (CSD 3648, a gem).

This is indeed regrettable. Martin Monkman of Amphion Recordings (the producer of the 1999 - 2002 4-volume compilation from the EMI Great Cathedral Organ Series) remarks in the notes to volume 4, "Sadly, due to contractual difficulties, no recordings from Westminster Cathedral could be included on these reissues."

It's also fascinating to see which organists' performances in the series (up to 45 years ago) others consider to be extra-ordinary. Roger's Fisher's Reubke has been mentioned; and Francis Jackson rightly merited a separate complete reissue of his GCOS recording. His performance of 'the' Willan is peerless. Others for me (subjective, of course) are Allan Wicks at Canterbury; Conrad Eden at Durham; and Christopher Robinson at Worcester.

• 9 months later...
Guest Voix Mystique
Individually the stops at St Andrew's are all very good, apart from the indifferent diapasons. It is the fundamental philosophy of the organ that is flawed.

I rather suspect that the Hele organ that was destroyed in 1941 was superior, if only because it was founded upon a three-decker Gray & Davison of 1859. But I wasn't there, so what do I know?

Said Hele's case - an unusual classical design by G. G. Scott, including much of the 18th century case - was to die for, though.

http://www.npor.org.uk/cgi-bin/PSearch.cgi...N18306&no=2