Mander Organ Builders Forum

Church Music Is Cheap !

Guest Patrick Coleman
More than once I have heard Martin How say that children cannot create a reverent atmosphere but they can respond positively to one created by adults.

Malcolm Kemp

It's very true that children respond most positively to a reverent atmosphere; yet it's also true that they can create one instinctively when faced with something awesome or beyond their understanding. Adults often spoil such occasions with busy-ness or with an attempt to stop the children thinking too deeply.

I once managed to do it in under 4 minutes, but it cost me a fortune in physiotherapy bills afterwards! :)

Yeah Yeah Yeah, technically very impressive no doubt, but at what cost to the composer's intentions? I bet the audience didn't hear half the actual notes.

It's very true that children respond most positively to a reverent atmosphere; yet it's also true that they can create one instinctively when faced with something awesome or beyond their understanding. Adults often spoil such occasions with busy-ness or with an attempt to stop the children thinking too deeply.

That is quite true. Its usually not the children that are the problem; its the adults!

Yeah Yeah Yeah, technically very impressive no doubt, but at what cost to the composer's intentions? I bet the audience didn't hear half the actual notes.

Has anyone tried it in a church with an induction loop for the hard-of-hearing?

I once managed to do it in under 4 minutes, but it cost me a fortune in physiotherapy bills afterwards! :rolleyes:

And it took months of brain-ache to learn too! ;)

A jazz band has been noted doing it in 90 seconds (true!)

My trouble is that I lose concentration and make mistakes. :(

A jazz band has been noted doing it in 90 seconds (true!)

When I needed a shorter version, I performed just one movement (the first, as I recall - but it was in 1963, so my memory might be faulty).

As a discussion point, which of the following is a truer representation of this piece (both exist):

(1) A CD with three tracks of digital silence, so that you listen to your local ambience;

(2) A CD with a recording of the studio ambience at the time of the recording.

Paul

As a discussion point, which of the following is a truer representation of this piece (both exist):

(1) A CD with three tracks of digital silence, so that you listen to your local ambience;

(2) A CD with a recording of the studio ambience at the time of the recording.

I really can't make up what is left of my mind, but I see that one can buy a DVD containing six different performances of the piece, including the premier of Stokowski's transcription for orchestra. True to form, Stokowski has tampered with the score. :rolleyes:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/clas...07/Cage_433.htm