Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Earl Of Zetland, Grangemouth

Peter Clark

The latest issue of the Wetherspoons pub chain's magazine has a small item about its newest pub in Scotland, the Earl of Zetland. This pub is a converted church and has retained "original features of the church, including the organ.....". Is anybody here in a position to ascertain quite how much of the organ has been retained? The accompanying photo shows a jolly-looking barmaid in front of a rank of what look like metal diapson pipes.

Over to you folks north of the border!

Peter

The latest issue of the Wetherspoons pub chain's magazine has a small item about its newest pub in Scotland, the Earl of Zetland. This pub is a converted church and has retained "original features of the church, including the organ.....". Is anybody here in a position to ascertain quite how much of the organ has been retained? The accompanying photo shows a jolly-looking barmaid in front of a rank of what look like metal diapson pipes.

Over to you folks north of the border!

Peter

Judging from this:

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/resource/bi...%20area%206.JPG

only the case appears to have been retained.

Is this Zetland church? If so, then the organ would appear to be a Father Willis installed by our hosts in 1983, according to NPOR. This might well not be the same church, however. Next time I'm in the vicinity I'll pop in for a pint.

This adds a whole new dimension to the phrase "Thirst after righteousness".... :)

In The Lanes in Brighton, in the centre of the orginal village of Brighthelmstone is a pub called the Font and Firkin which, despite being in a former Free-Evangelical church (or some similar demonination) has part of a confessional hanging on the wall. At times they have sold a beer called "Ale Mary". Some local clergy have seen the joke, partaken of this brew and enjoyed it; other have been deeply offended by such irreverence.

Malcolm Kemp

In The Lanes in Brighton, in the centre of the orginal village of Brighthelmstone is a pub called the Font and Firkin which, despite being in a former Free-Evangelical church (or some similar demonination) has part of a confessional hanging on the wall. At times they have sold a beer called "Ale Mary". Some local clergy have seen the joke, partaken of this brew and enjoyed it; other have been deeply offended by such irreverence.

Malcolm Kemp

If it were free evangelical it would probably not have a confessional - as to the Zetland church, I have written to Wetherspoons for more information.

Peter

Is this Zetland church? If so, then the organ would appear to be a Father Willis installed by our hosts in 1983, according to NPOR. This might well not be the same church, however. Next time I'm in the vicinity I'll pop in for a pint.

No - it's the former Dundas church, which closed in 2006. Originally had an 1894 II/20 by Mirrlees of Glasgow.

AC