Mander Organ Builders Forum

Is It Me?

Guest Cynic

Guest Patrick Coleman
Ah, I'm with you now. :unsure:

I've only knowingly played two instruments of his. One a rather beautiful but eccentric pneumatic four decker with different speaking speeds for each manual, and one local to me which was butchered by a local "organ builder" who used old baked bean cans as tuning slides (I'm not joking, alas). Thankfully, this fellow has been retired for quite a while.

Then you must have the delight of giving a recital on ours (outside the heating season and when the sticking plaster and chewing gum have been reapplied)

However, I never see a box which asks if I'd like to be remembered. Maybe this is the problem..... :unsure:

OK, do the following:

1) On the forum front page, don't fill your username and password into the boxes provided. Look on the horizontal grey bar above where it says "Welcome Guest" and click "Log In".

2) This should take you to a page with a pretty pink box. Type in your username and password and tick the "Remember Me" box.

3) When you are returned to the forum front page, save this in your favourites.

Gareth, it sounds as though the problems are related, if you are using IE7, to the level of privacy set within the browser (and, to some extent, under your control) - this can affect the ability of sites to set the correct cookies inthe correct place for the correct duration and containing the correct information.

Firefox has a less fiddly feel to it generally, but also has privacy settings which could interfere with cookie operation.

Whether or not a URL is saved in 'favorites' (though what 'favo' rites might be, I have no idea) or in Bookmarks should have no effect on whether a userid/password combination is remembered.

In effect , the 'Remeber me' option seems to do an automatic login wach time you access the site, when it's working properly - rather than keeping you logged in - the duration of a session (being logged in, in other words) is usually under the control of the server(s) at the website host.

Whether or not a URL is saved in 'favorites' (though what 'favo' rites might be, I have no idea) or in Bookmarks should have no effect on whether a userid/password combination is remembered.

I cannot see why it should make a difference either, but it certainly did with me. After migration to the new server I bookmarked the page, but, despite ticking the "Remember Me" box, it was failing to retain my details - until I thought of saving the front page after I had logged in. Strange.

Vox - I guess that if there is a process within the browser which is triggered by the action of saving a bookmark, and that process causes the cookie to be written to disc rather than held in virtual storage then that would account for what you saw. The process could even be asynchronous, and the fact of it's appearing to result from a bookmark save operation be a coincidence!

Fundamentally, virtually any reasonably sophisticated application, which appears to the use as one function or tool, may contain a large number of separate processes, which run 'under the covers' and take care of how the application interacts with the particular environment of the computer concerned - with its options modified and tailored by its user(s).

Thanks drd and Vox. :)

I guess I'm just gonna have to live with it, or perhaps try Firefox. It's just puzzling that this is the only place which doesn't recognize my PC. :unsure:

I hate unresolved puzzles! Did you check your privacy setting and is a Mander Organs cookie actually being set? On the privacy settings, have you overriden automatic cookie handling on the "advanced" dialogue box? I have removed and reset my login a couple of times to see if I could spot the cause of your log-in problem and it has come back correctly every time. The Mander Organs cookie on my machine is due to expire on January 1st 2020, which suggests it should stay logged in for all practical purposes as long as your IP address remains the same.

One less cheerful thought has just come to me - could anyone else be using your login, without your knowledge, from a different machine? It might be worth changing your password to find out. I certainly have to log-in afresh when I have been visiting my family and used their machine to access the site.

JC

The Mander Organs cookie on my machine is due to expire on January 1st 2020, which suggests it should stay logged in for all practical purposes as long as your IP address remains the same.

But the cookie relates to the site, not the machine it's on, so the IP address of your machine is not relevant - after all, some people still connect to the Internet each time they use their machine, and get a new IP for the session by DHCP.

One less cheerful thought has just come to me - could anyone else be using your login, without your knowledge, from a different machine? It might be worth changing your password to find out. I certainly have to log-in afresh when I have been visiting my family and used their machine to access the site.

Once a machine has a cookie, that remains valid. I am logged in here on both home and work computers, though I admit that this board, unlike others I read, sometimes gets a little confused about which posts I have read (but logging both machines out and in seems to clear this for a while).

Paul

But the cookie relates to the site, not the machine it's on, so the IP address of your machine is not relevant - after all, some people still connect to the Internet each time they use their machine, and get a new IP for the session by DHCP.

I bow to your greater knowledge, but I think you may be mistaken on this point as my experience is otherwise. To me it is also an essential feature of board security to prevent several people using a single log-in.

JC

I bow to your greater knowledge, but I think you may be mistaken on this point as my experience is otherwise. To me it is also an essential feature of board security to prevent several people using a single log-in.

JC

Cookies are temporary files, generally hidden from view, held on the PC. Hence if you access the same web site from different PC's you will have different cookies held on each PC. If the PC changes its IP address this has no bearing whatsoever upon the cookies held on that machine. This is not to say that individual websites might not take note of your IP address and build this into the data that they choose to store in the cookies on your machine.

Of all the boards I visit, I can only think of one which prevents me being logged in at two computers. In any case, this would not be done by the cookie itself, but by some record at the server.

Paul

Of all the boards I visit, I can only think of one which prevents me being logged in at two computers. In any case, this would not be done by the cookie itself, but by some record at the server.

Paul

Ah, you responded before I got back to amend my post. Agreed it is nothing to do with the cookie, but I was perhaps mistakenly under the impression that Mander's server kept a record. Certainly when I return home after connecting from elsewhere, I have to renew my login. Perhaps just a coincidence?

However, let's hope we can suggest something to make Gareth's life less cumbersome. By the way, anybody with any suggestion as to why my (Creative) mixer panel only loads at startup on Tuesdays when there is an R in the month, I'd be glad to hear from you. Computers...pah...who'd want them. I say "long live the moving iron relay"!

JC

Thank you, folks, for all your suggestions, and to those who have PM'd me with advice, too. :unsure:

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work, and it doesn't seem as if any cookies are being set.

I guess I'm going to have to put up with it.

I've also realized that I've rather hijacked Cynic's thread with this. Sorry!

Guest Cynic
Thank you, folks, for all your suggestions, and to those who have PM'd me with advice, too. :unsure:

Unfortunately, nothing seems to work, and it doesn't seem as if any cookies are being set.

I guess I'm going to have to put up with it.

I've also realized that I've rather hijacked Cynic's thread with this. Sorry!

Your problem is worse than mine - although I have to (electronically) live in Brussels, I can at least get my machine to tell the time properly. Still don't get that, of course.