• could help scout for venues
    • willing to assist with sessions
    • help with publicity
    • can provide/operate suitable equipment for good quality recording
    • sorry, not my thing
  3. 3. Interested to purchase resulting disc

• depends on choice of organs
    • depends on choice of repertoire
    • depends on price - might be a double CD!
    • sorry, not my thing
    • I'll be buying it without question

Guest Cynic

There seems to be more than a little interest in this suggestion. To find out just how much interest there is, I thought a poll might be useful at this stage.

If you have comments to post, regarding such things as available (worthy) instruments or desired repertoire please add these. I am not sure if the poll system will enable you to do that. If it doesn't, separate posts or messages would be a help. The results of the poll ought to make it clear whether we have a real chance or are just whistling in the wind.

For me, I would see this principally as a chance for those who have not already got themselves decently onto disc to do so. It would be an excellent opportunity to introduce lesser known organs or repertoire to collectors' shelves at the same time.

Caution: unless you are a very cool customer indeed, you should be aware that recording sessions are always a bit like drawing teeth - not unlike a driving test or a major examination. Preparation is the key and real familiarity with the instrument helps. By no means every venue has to be glamorous! Having said that, don't be afraid to offer your talents to this project. I think it is safe to say

1. nothing would be put out for public consumption that is not fit to be heard - if you stay the course you will benefit!

2. anyone offering to support this project will want to support you too.

Guest Cynic
Impossible to vote. I get a "you must vote" kind of answer, while I actually did.

Pierre

Dear Pierre,

Leave it a few minutes and try again. I've only just this very minute finished setting it up.

I'm no expert, so of course it is possible that I've done it wrong!

If all else fails, a comment in a post would be helpful.

P.

An excellent idea! There are some very good players and custodians of decent instruments on here. Although I know my playing is not up at the mark for recording, I'm very happy to volunteer for technical services and the like: I use a Soundfield ST250 to 24-bit DAT at present, which should do the trick!

Guest Cynic
Ditto. I think maybe one has to vote in all three sections, which I do not wish to do.

Have doctored it now, is this any better?

Put this down to complete cluelessness.

Ditto. I think maybe one has to vote in all three sections, which I do not wish to do.

And me - I had to put 'depends on choice of organs' in the third section to get it to work. Could you add a simple 'yes' option to the third question? I would, and others may, buy it regardless of organ or repertoire simply because the good folk here had gone to the effort of doing it!

P.

Guest Cynic
And me - I had to put 'depends on choice of organs' in the third section to get it to work. Could you add a simple 'yes' option to the third question? I would, and others may, buy it regardless of organ or repertoire simply because the good folk here had gone to the effort of doing it!

P.

I've tweaked it.

Hope this covers your desired statement.

The instrument in Holy Trinity, Stratford-upon-Avon is worthy of a session but I don't know the organist; it would have to be an overnight recording given the visitor numbers and I suspect the church might want loads of money for the privilege. Maybe another Warwickshire member knows more than I about it.

I used to practice on it when it was HN&B and loved the Great Diapason chorus but hacked off the vergers by forgetting that the tourists wanted to visit Shakespeare's tomb without the full Swell coming through the Great in their right ear.

I seem to remember the organ was rebuilt by Nicholson a few years ago (edit, 1991) and I think Andrew Fletcher was one of the consultants. It does sound good, plenty of power with some lovely flutes and mutations, and the Swell reeds are great (if you see what I mean!). It could do with both a 32' flue and reed but I suspect the case wouldn't allow it. Nice Tuba on the Choir :angry:

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=D05055

I'd be happy to assist with local publicity.

P

I'd be willing to donate copies of rare scores from either my personal collection or my reprint service to be included on the CD...

Those seriously interested in this venture can contact me privately for details.

Best,

- G

Guest Cynic
A few days of silence - I hope this hasn't died. Perhaps the 11 thus far who have said yes could get in touch with me (or, for a faster response, Paul or Paul) and we can get some ideas rolling round?

We should not panic, the item has not been up on this site long and not everyone who might benefit has necessarily seen it yet.

Ten or eleven participants is (in fact) all we need. However, If we were to aim to have two pieces from each participant (which would give more contrast and a better representation of both players and instruments), this might best be a Double CD issue, and if so, ideally we would gain or or two more players.

Yes, those interested please contact us... be brave!