Mander Organ Builders Forum

Sunday Worship

Peter Clark

Guest Cynic
It seems from today's broadcast that Rockingham suffers with the "Crimond Syndrome" ie a needless pause halfway through the tune!

Peter

That wasn't the only music-related suffering, IMHO. It was a sincere broadcast, obviously well-intentioned etc. etc. but.....

I don't know about you, but I can't get used to the affected A-merican accent used by some solo singers. Was the solo 'Tenor' really A-merican? I doubt it very much.

Outside pop music, intended to boost sales in the U.S. OF A., what exactly is the point of this? Does this help people to enjoy listening to solo singing if they're not used to it? For me it brought that great god Mammon much closer.

We came to the last hymn 'When I survey..' I prepared myself for the (quite decent) much more modern tune (which would have followed on naturally from all that went before) instead we had to endure a truly drab and lifeless performance of 'Rockingham'. All the care that had gone into everything else seemed to have been entirely missed here - maybe because the hymn was so well-known???

We came to the last hymn 'When I survey..' I prepared myself for the (quite decent) much more modern tune (which would have followed on naturally from all that went before) instead we had to endure a truly drab and lifeless performance of 'Rockingham'. All the care that had gone into everything else seemed to have been entirely missed here - maybe because the hymn was so well-known???

I didn't catch it fortunately, but the most moved I (and several hundred others) have been by this hymn was at the Turner Sims event recently, where it was sung at Vaughan Williams' tempo marking (62 bpm) with the EH 'alternative' penultimate line (in Eb, 'my richest gain I count BUT loss' - BUT to an Ab rather than a natural).