Mander Organ Builders Forum

Organ Demonstrators

andyorgan

No Alastair, of course not all teachers. It just happens to be my unfortunate lot that it is the case here.

Peter

Point taken of course Peter - 'shame as it's a bit of an organic desert where I work so we are not even as lucky as your lot!

AJJ

The first night he played JSB's Fantasia in G Maj and it got completely swamped by the noise of the congregation. On the second night he played the Toccata in D Maj by Lanquetuit (which he had bought the previous day). Soon there were a dozen people gathered around the console watching him play and by the end 300+ people were clapping enthusiastically. Then they got on with their photos.

Give people the right, good music and they'll enjoy it even if they've never heard anything like it before.

Interesting that it was the Lanquetuit rather than the JSB that engaged the attention. After all, to the best of my knowledge, Lanquetuit does not figure in very many people's lists of great composers or even lists of great organ composers while JSB is up there at the top of the Premier League - no questions asked. One waits with interest to see how those who contend that the high points of the literature are adequate in themselves as "organ demonstrators" will deal with this evidence of (far from unusual) real world behaviour.