Mander Organ Builders Forum

Liverpool Organ Day

Did anyone venture into the liverpool organ world yesterday (monday) ?

I have only heard the Anglican organ once and it certainly is a bit of a beast, but Daniel Bishop held it together wonderfully well, Timothy Noons afternoon recital was a treasure, something for everyone I think,, plus he let me record it too :unsure: (from the choir stalls) St.Georges hall was the evening venue, and it was the first time I had heard it, (apart from the Dearney/woodward 1980's recording) it was certainly impressive, but does need a lot of money to rebuild it, it was leaking air a just a little bit.

Regards

Peter

Yes - I attended the first two recitals (didn't risk staying for the third as 'er indoors might have tried to divorce me!). The Daniel Bishop recital at the Anglican Cathedral was excellent. A good programme, superb registrations and extremely well played. It was good to hear the new Nave section of the instrument. The only disappointment in my opinion were the two encores. I'm not sure what the first one was, but the second was (presumably?) an improvisation showing off the new nave organ. Daniel Bishop is certainly a player to be reckoned with and I think we'll hear a lot more of him in the future.

A swift pint or two in "The Pilgrim" followed, then the recital at the Met by Timothy Noon which was equally outstanding. His encore (The theme from "Riverdance" I think) was exceptional. Again, another extremely fine player and instrument. His interpretation of the Allegro from Widor 6, Vierne's Carillon de Westminster and Arthur Wills' Carillon on "Orientis Partibus" were outstanding highlights.

All in all, a day well worth attending.

NS

Yes - I attended the first two recitals (didn't risk staying for the third as 'er indoors might have tried to divorce me!). The Daniel Bishop recital at the Anglican Cathedral was excellent. A good programme, superb registrations and extremely well played. It was good to hear the new Nave section of the instrument. The only disappointment in my opinion were the two encores. I'm not sure what the first one was, but the second was (presumably?) an improvisation showing off the new nave organ. Daniel Bishop is certainly a player to be reckoned with and I think we'll hear a lot more of him in the future.

A swift pint or two in "The Pilgrim" followed, then the recital at the Met by Timothy Noon which was equally outstanding. His encore (The theme from "Riverdance" I think) was exceptional. Again, another extremely fine player and instrument. His interpretation of the Allegro from Widor 6, Vierne's Carillon de Westminster and Arthur Wills' Carillon on "Orientis Partibus" were outstanding highlights.

All in all, a day well worth attending.

NS

My sentiments exactly.

Nice to have a brief chat with you after Daniel's impressive recital.

Alistair

Guest Roffensis

I did not go to any recitals apart form that in St. George's Tall, by Ian Tracey. For the record, despite work being carried out to the winding, by a non Liverpool firm, the organ still sounds like Niagra Falls. We also were treated to sticking notes, and a general impression the organ is well past it's glory days. I have never heard it so bad, and I have known it very well since 1979. Having wrestled with the job numerous times when I have given recitals, I can vouch it has been unreliable for ages, not least due to overheating in the hall itself. It is a miracle it has lasted as long as it has without a full rebuild, but that seems like a Utopia that we may just never realise. Recitals are few at the hall, but at least we heard it. I have to say if I knew the organ was going to be as bad as it was, a shadow of it's former glory, I would have stayed at home and put a CD of it on. At least I can remember how it was once.

:unsure:

R

I did not go to any recitals apart form that in St. George's Tall, by Ian Tracey. For the record, despite work being carried out to the winding, by a non Liverpool firm, the organ still sounds like Niagra Falls. We also were treated to sticking notes, and a general impression the organ is well past it's glory days.

R

I'm puzzled and shocked! Just a few years ago I remember an appeal for the organ - to which I contributed - I thought it was undergoing a complete restoration? :unsure:

I was also impressed with Daniel Bishops playing, and give it a few years he will certainly be "up" there for a good top position.

I have just listened to the riverdance piece that Tim Noon played at the met, and it really is good, I have never seen or heard any music from riverdance, and there I was thinking it was in the vein of something Mr Rick Wakeman might have wrote ( so much for having a narrow view on all things musical)

If there is not a great deal of hope for the organ at St. Georges hall,, then there must be no hope at all for the nice Harrison at Newcastle City Hall then :(

regards

Peter