Mander Organ Builders Forum

Municipal Organs Under Threat

Hi

Would that be http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N09137 ?

It's the only H&H in the town that's listed on NPOR.

Every Blessing

Tony

yes Tony, thats the one. I was there a few times with an organist called Peter Locke, I remember him playing a big Reger piece, and as the building was all hard surfaces, it worked so well

regards

Peter

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Cynic

I withdraw my comments above. I was thinking of a totally different organ, by (dear, sweet) Nicholsons as it happens. It's not far away from the organ the rest of you meant but my brain was on 'senior moment' when I posted. Apologies all round. Ah...... roll on the bus pass, that's all I can say!

Going back to the original topic, the magnificent H&H in Newcastle City Hall was still just about playable when I heard last. Does anyone have up-to-date information?

Another very successful restoration is the Caird Hall, Dundee, with a splended CD of Vaughan Williams to prove it from Priory.

Going back to the original topic, the magnificent H&H in Newcastle City Hall was still just about playable when I heard last. Does anyone have up-to-date information?

Another very successful restoration is the Caird Hall, Dundee, with a splended CD of Vaughan Williams to prove it from Priory.

I was wondering about that as well, I did read somewhere that a restoration project was in hand does anyone know? In this economic climate I'm afraid the organ is the least of any Councils priorities.

I was wondering about that as well, I did read somewhere that a restoration project was in hand does anyone know? In this economic climate I'm afraid the organ is the least of any Councils priorities.

My understanding is that the Council are aware of the significance of the instrument, but a greater worry for them at present is the structural state of both the Concert Hall and the adjoining Swimming Baths. Until that is resolved, the future of the organ is likely to remain uncertain.

JS

• 1 month later...

I recently took a group of pupils from school to take part in a concert at the Albert Hall, Bolton. During part of the day when we weren't actively involved in something I had a look around behind the stage back-drop curtains at the 1985 Walker. It looked a bit sad and very much out of keeping with the general style of the stage and auditorium.

I remember hearing/playing this instrument shortly after it was installed, and recall that I didn't care much for it at the time, the Hall acoustics weren't very sympathetic.

A chat with staff from the hall who were helping with the event revealed that the organ was very rarely used these days, and that the hall authorities would prefer that the organ could be sold.

It seems a shame that a relatively new instrument is now neglected, does anyone out there use it?

DT

I recently took a group of pupils from school to take part in a concert at the Albert Hall, Bolton. During part of the day when we weren't actively involved in something I had a look around behind the stage back-drop curtains at the 1985 Walker. It looked a bit sad and very much out of keeping with the general style of the stage and auditorium.

I remember hearing/playing this instrument shortly after it was installed, and recall that I didn't care much for it at the time, the Hall acoustics weren't very sympathetic.

A chat with staff from the hall who were helping with the event revealed that the organ was very rarely used these days, and that the hall authorities would prefer that the organ could be sold.

It seems a shame that a relatively new instrument is now neglected, does anyone out there use it?

DT

I have a fairly early Priory recording by possibly Graham Barber - the playing is very good but the organ has a decidedly 'clinical' sound to it. The consultant I think might have been Noel Rawsthorne.

AJJ

Guest Cynic
I have a fairly early Priory recording by possibly Graham Barber - the playing is very good but the organ has a decidedly 'clinical' sound to it. The consultant I think might have been Noel Rawsthorne.

AJJ

I have one made there by Gordon Stewart, it's excellent.

The instrument is fairly typical of its time, attempting to do everything 'authentically' which is courting disaster, I suppose. A thoroughly decent case (by David Graebe, I think) and a brave effort tonally. J.W.W. were a good firm. I hope this instrument is not under threat.

AJJ

It was indeed Noel Rawsthorne. I gave one of the inaugural recitals in 1985 and found it (then) the most thrilling organ I'd played. But you're right, the acoustic is dessicating and the sound rather brittle. Another 5 years of pendulum swing would have helped (along with a slightly bigger budget). It is so nearly right, but with lack of colour and gravitas in the pedals, and a so-called Cavaille-Coll Swell missing an 8' Hautbois, it's just not quite all there. Great shame it's under used. It has never really been promoted (save a notable and noble effort by David Titterington in the early 90s) after a poor choice for Borough Organist was made once the initial fanfares were over.

A well organised outreach and education programme (a la Bridgwater and Symphony Halls) would/could work wonders there, but there does not appear to be the vision.

I applied to make a recording there to mark the 20th anniversary in 2005 but the authorities simply didn't get back after some considerable effort on my part. Great shame. It's very well made and can sound wonderful if you've muscle enough to couple up and if enough chairs have been removed.

It might also be the case that the 'authorities' there simply don't appreciate what they have. Cheltenham Town Hall is another case in point (wonderful Rolls Royce of an Edwardian classic), the tuner constantly having to battle with demands to use the organ case as a broom cupboard!

IFB

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I recently took a group of pupils from school to take part in a concert at the Albert Hall, Bolton.

DT

Iy was used by ISOC when we were based in Huddersfield (1980's)and was part of our programme. Ewald Kooiman gave a concert on it too.

Talking of grand provincial civic organs - don't forget De Montfod Hall in Leicester (Taylor, at the outbreak or thereabouts of WWI). It had a rocky future once but now thankfully restored and quite glorious and fundamental with its 2 full-length 32fts.

All the best,

N