Mander Organ Builders Forum

Play St. Pauls Cathedral Organ For £2000

mrbouffant

Good Lord!

I wonder if they'd pay me £2000 NOT to play it for 30 minutes? Money well spent in the public's (ears) interest.

Incidentally...has anyone else yet bought tickets for Olivier Latry's concert in October, or will I and Mrs T be alone?! :lol:

This seems to be a substantial amount of money for thirty minutes of fun.

It sounds a little like something which happened at a girls' school, where I was teaching, a few years ago.

The school in question had a largely female staff who were mostly quite genteel and somewhat prim. In the staff dining room at lunch one day, I had successfully managed to interject llamas into the conversation (God knows why). Bizarrely, one of the visiting staff happened to know of a llama sanctuary in the locality - which was a surprise to me. She then went on to say "Oh yes, you can visit and for forty pounds you can look at them all day; you can feed them, pet them and learn all about them."

I then heard myself say in disgust "Forty quid?! My God, for forty quid, I would want to sh*g it as well." The room immediately became utterly silent, and every head (including that which belonged to the headmistress) turned towards our table in horror.

For two thousand pounds, I should at least want to keep a couple of ranks from the Choir Organ.

Guest Cynic
snip

For two thousand pounds, I should at least want to keep a couple of ranks from the Choir Organ.[/font]

Publicity is rarely given to the changes which have regularly been made to the organ at St.Paul's. Without fuss, the specification has gently had a number of Cecil Clutton-inspired ranks removed and replaced since the 'big' rebuild. The Choir was probably the manual where CC's pernicious influence was most obvious. If you seriously want to acquire pipework from the St.P's Choir organ, I would register this interest with Mr.John Mander because your dream might be much more feasible than you think!

Replying to the strict text of this topic, 'Play St.Paul's Cathedral Organ for £2000'... I can only say 'yes please'. Normally they don't even give travelling expenses when one plays - the privilege is thought to be enough, (as it is of course)! Even so, it would be nice to show a profit at the end of a year's travelling around for a change.

I have played for a couple of evensongs, and given the size and stature of the place, it is much easier to accompnay on than you might imagine. Of course there are a few 'do not use for evensong' notices on particularly loud reeds (eg the Dome and West End, naturally).

Replying to the strict text of this topic, 'Play St.Paul's Cathedral Organ for £2000'... I can only say 'yes please'. Normally they don't even give travelling expenses when one plays - the privilege is thought to be enough, (as it is of course)! Even so, it would be nice to show a profit at the end of a year's travelling around for a change.

Indeed. Coincidentally, I've had a letter from HM Revenue and Customs come through the post this morning as they've chosen to audit my accounts. They state that "....I have information to suggest that you have been performing organ recitals on a professional basis....". Well, I'm glad that they reminded me of this, as I can add various recitals to my losses for last year's accounts. :angry:

Indeed. Coincidentally, I've had a letter from HM Revenue and Customs come through the post this morning as they've chosen to audit my accounts. They state that "....I have information to suggest that you have been performing organ recitals on a professional basis....".

Maybe they're on here. :angry:

AJJ

Maybe they're on here. :angry:

As Boris Johnson might say, "Cripes!". I know someone who was investigated by, as it was, the Inland Revenue. He was a writer and had put down an estimated figure for expenditure on books. When they asked him to itemise the books he had bought in the relevant year it turned out to be about double what he had claimed.

Well, for £2000 the West and Dome sections had better be available ... :angry:

I find that the whole St Paul's Cathedral thing is a rather cynical money-making exercise. There was that documentary on TV a few years back which seemed to reveal the place for what it is. £2000 to play the organ there is quite frankly rather disgusting, and I hope they get no takers. :angry: But then, as the saying goes, there's one born every day!

(With huge respect to our hosts, I wouldn't mind having a go for free!) ;)

I'm guessing, but I would have thought this bid is being driven by the Association of Independent Museums rather than by the cathedral. But either way, yes, it does look to be a bit of a rip-off.

Yes, this whole thing sounded to me like a "Charity Auction" - something quite common in the US - where in order to raise funds for a particular charity various companies donate goods and services which are then auctioned off to the highest bidder with the entire proceeds going to the charity. The amount bid is often many times in excess of the fair market value of the item.