Mander Organ Builders Forum

New Organ Journal

AJJ

This looks interesting:

http://orgues-nouvelles.weebly.com/

AJJ

My very hypermarket French stopped me from appreciating its finer points, but it did look quite good and I did manage to translate some of the text. What did intrigue me was the accompanying CD, which (translation permitting?) included some sheet music as well as well as some recordings.

I've often wondered why OR (as the best of the three) or TO or C and O don't get together with some of the recording companies (or even individuals who have their own label) to put together a sampler CD, perhaps every couple of issues. The sampler bits of music that are in C and O and OR have all been pretty good, but rather conservative, and given the nature of the publication, very short. Wheras, a CD containing some pdfs (they don't have to be complete works if composers are worried about missing out on royalties) would be able to exhibit a more, and a wider variety of works, choral and/or organ and might give potential buyers more of an idea, rather than just a verbal review.

The cover looks interesting - I shall try to have a look inside tomorrow evening.

As far as Organists' Review is concerned, I think that I have just about lost patience with it. I now find it tedious and dull with irritatingly fussy (and consequently less clear) layout - the organ specifications (when they are included) are a prime example of bad layout.

However, the idea of a sample CD might be worth considering.

The cover looks interesting - I shall try to have a look inside tomorrow evening.

As far as Organists' Review is concerned, I think that I have just about lost patience with it. I now find it tedious and dull with irritatingly fussy (and consequently less clear) layout - the organ specifications (when they are included) are a prime example of bad layout.

As I have said elsewhere, OR ceased to be of much interest when they changed format with the new editors, I get more information from here than I ever do from OR (I still read it from time to time when passed to me by a friend!)

Jonathan

As far as Organist's Review is concerned, I like MOST of the changes.

Orgues Nouvelles is very different. Of course I can only judge by the 20-page sample issue (real issues will be 52 pages), but it seems to be very glossy magazine style, with no article longer than a single page, which suggests that it is unlikely to deal with any topic in enough depth to be of much interest.

The 16 pages of the Attaignant score and associated MP3 look interesting, but it's far from an urtext, as the introductory page says, "Ceci n’est pas une édition musicologique répondant aux usages scientifiques modernes. Ceci est une avant tout, une édition pratique, destinée à être jouée et entendue."

The price in the UK is 66 euros for 4 issues each including a CD with audio and computer files. It's more than I would want to pay unless I had evidence that the real issues will be more substantial.

Just out of interest Barry, why is the board showing you as a new member?

JC

It's kind of you to ask, John. I tried to log on several weeks ago and the system would not accept my usual password and so I contacted Rachel, the forum moderator. I'm not sure if someone had objected to one of my postings and sought my removal (we are all entitled to our opinions), but according to Rachel someone else by the name of Barry was to be removed from the list of members and there was a mix-up with identities. I'm not a prolific contributor to the forum but have been a member since before 2004.

Regards,

Barry

I noticed a few weeks ago that Barry Williams has also disappeared from membership.

Are we an endangered species? B)

Justadad

(aka barry)

I don't think we upset him?

AJJ