Mander Organ Builders Forum

Philharmonie, Berlin

John Sayer

The fire earlier this week in the main auditorium of the Philharmonie in Berlin fortunately seems to have caused much less damage than feared, despite the dramatic pictures in the press.

ZDF television yesterday showed pictures of the interior with polythene sheeting covering the seats. Water penetration seems to have been minimal with what appeared to be only a few drips at the back of the stalls, ie. well away from the stage.

The large IVP/84 Karl Schuke organ was to have been inspected yesterday but it was hoped there had been no water damage.

An interesting comment on the German Orgelforum site suggests that this instrument leads a 'twilight existence', being seldom heard in a solo role. It would seem that German experience of large instruments in concert halls is not that much different form our own.

JS

The fire earlier this week in the main auditorium of the Philharmonie in Berlin fortunately seems to have caused much less damage than feared, despite the dramatic pictures in the press.

ZDF television yesterday showed pictures of the interior with polythene sheeting covering the seats. Water penetration seems to have been minimal with what appeared to be only a few drips at the back of the stalls, ie. well away from the stage.

The large IVP/84 Karl Schuke organ was to have been inspected yesterday but it was hoped there had been no water damage.

An interesting comment on the German Orgelforum site suggests that this instrument leads a 'twilight existence', being seldom heard in a solo role. It would seem that German experience of large instruments in concert halls is not that much different form our own.

I was fortunate to play in the Philharmonie about 14 years ago and the extremely affable British orchestral pianist for the BPO told me that the organ was beset with technical problems and was, as you have heard, rarely played.

I was fortunate to play in the Philharmonie about 14 years ago and the extremely affable British orchestral pianist for the BPO told me that the organ was beset with technical problems and was, as you have heard, rarely played.

Does anyone know when the organ was built? It doesn't say on the Schuke site, unless I just can't see it! :lol: Until I just looked i was thinking it was this one: http://www.schuke-berlin.de/en/orgeln/lux.htm which isn't very old at all...

Does anyone know when the organ was built? It doesn't say on the Schuke site, unless I just can't see it! :blink: Until I just looked i was thinking it was this one: http://www.schuke-berlin.de/en/orgeln/lux.htm which isn't very old at all...

1965, renovated 1992.

A concert series is being relaunched. I will be playing "Livre du Saint Sacrement" there on the 30th November. Condition of the building permitting!

B