Mander Organ Builders Forum

Solihull School

AJJ

An article on the school's webpage says that Nicholsons of Worcester are doing the work, which is costing £220,000. The project has been designed and lead by Paul Hale (rector chori, Southwell Minster) who is a former pupil of the school.

The article states that Paul Hale isn't the only renowned organist to have trained on the instrument at Solihull: others include David Briggs, John Butt and Ian Simcock.

The article is dated 26th February 2008:

http://www.solsch.org.uk/news/26_feb_2008.aspx

Dave

An article on the school's webpage says that Nicholsons of Worcester are doing the work, which is costing £220,000. The project has been designed and lead by Paul Hale (rector chori, Southwell Minster) who is a former pupil of the school.

The article states that Paul Hale isn't the only renowned organist to have trained on the instrument at Solihull: others include David Briggs, John Butt and Ian Simcock.

The article is dated 26th February 2008:

http://www.solsch.org.uk/news/26_feb_2008.aspx

Dave

Birmingham Organists' Association are visiting for a talk, recital and play in July with Paul Hale (the talk and recital bit!) so if noone comes up with the goods before then, I should come back with everything needed to answer the questions...

Birmingham Organists' Association are visiting for a talk, recital and play in July with Paul Hale (the talk and recital bit!) so if noone comes up with the goods before then, I should come back with everything needed to answer the questions...

Hi Paul

"The Organ" have also picked up that article. We would be grateful for stop list, etc. - the simplest and most accurate way is to take digital photos of the stop jambs/stop tabs - it's also a LOT quicker! You can download a survey form from the NPOR web site, which will tell you what information we enter - but don't worry if some of it isn't available!

If you do want to send in digital photos, please don't reduce the file size of the ones of the stop controls - the labels tend to become unreadable!

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi Paul

"The Organ" have also picked up that article. We would be grateful for stop list, etc. - the simplest and most accurate way is to take digital photos of the stop jambs/stop tabs - it's also a LOT quicker! You can download a survey form from the NPOR web site, which will tell you what information we enter - but don't worry if some of it isn't available!

If you do want to send in digital photos, please don't reduce the file size of the ones of the stop controls - the labels tend to become unreadable!

Every Blessing

Tony

Hi Tony,

That's no problem - will do, and have set myself a reminder too!

P.

• 2 weeks later...

I can report that the newly rebuilt organ was put through its paces last night by David Briggs in a long but exciting programme of transcriptions by Glinka, Dukas, Rachmaninoff, and Souza, Bach D major, Dupre Variations Op20, three movements of Widor V, and an improvisation, together with a newly commissioned setting by DB of Psalm 98 sung by the Chapel Choir with what sounded like a challenging organ part. Minus the choral item the programme is similar to the one he is playing at the RAH on 4 July.

The organ rebuilt by Nicholson with Paul Hale as consultant (like DB an old boy of the school) is based on 1861 Nicholson first installed in Wycliffe Baptist Church, Birmingham. Over time the organ has had an interesting history finally being cooked by the chapel heating system. The history is documented in an excellent and comprehensive book written by Paul Hale and on sale for £5 at the recital.

The scaling of the choruses comes across as big and bold but I guess that is what is needed to accompany the singing of 450 pupils. I began to get concerned about this as the first two pieces (Glinka - Ruslan and Lyudmila and Dukas - The Sorcerer's Apprentice were quite a battering being mostly full organ, followed by Bach D major on only a little less, but more subtle voices appeared in later items and DB gave a good account of the instrument.

Clearly from the speech by the Headmaster Paul Hale did an excellent job of getting the Governors to spend £220,000(?) on the rebuild to support their fine musical tradition.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have an up to date spec. for this organ please?

AJJ

Only just notice this posting as I visit the site about once a year! I've written an account of the organ at Solihull School (36pp, several specs and plenty of colour photos) which can be obtained from the school for £5 plus p&p. If you'd just like the spec, email me via <PaulHale.org> and I'll send it. David Briggs gave a simply stunning first recital earlier in June (mentioned on this site by others), to a packed chapel.

Paul Hale

Only just notice this posting as I visit the site about once a year! I've written an account of the organ at Solihull School (36pp, several specs and plenty of colour photos) which can be obtained from the school for £5 plus p&p. If you'd just like the spec, email me via <PaulHale.org> and I'll send it. David Briggs gave a simply stunning first recital earlier in June (mentioned on this site by others), to a packed chapel.

Paul Hale

Thanks - 'might get the book.

A