Mander Organ Builders Forum

Going To Majorca This Summer? Hear This!

Clavecin

A day in Palma last week found us attending a recital by Michel Bouvard on a newly finished organ by Grenzing.

This was one of a week's series of recitals by Peter Planyavsky, Josep Griner (Spain), Bouvard, Michal Novenko (Prague), and our very own Martin Baker.

I would have liked to have heard some of the other recitals, but it being a family holiday!!!!

I gather that the organ was only finished this year, it's not on Grenzing's web site yet. It would appear to be a rebuild around material from 1771 by Jordi Bosch, featuring 57 speaking stops. 3 manuals - Iberian 'Orgue Major' (Great) and 'Cadireta (Chair), and a French Swell, the pedal includes a 32 Bombarda.

The Great includes 9 reeds!

It looks superb and makes a really thrilling sound in a large, resonant but clear acoustic.

We heard P&F in D by Bach, a transcription of some Mendelssohn piano variations, Chorale No.2 by Franck, a set of variations by Michel Bouvard's father, and Dieu Parmi Nous by Messiaen.

I you're going to Majorca, look this one up

DT

.......But without forgetting Santanyi (restored by Gehrard Grenzing) in the very first place.

Mallorca= the Bosch dinasty of organ builders. If we "deleted" Jordi Bosch, we would not

have Cavaillé-Coll (and, and, and...)

Pierre

• 1 year later...

Agree this is a superb instrument in a lovely acoustic. We were in Palma at the end of May and heard someone practising for a recital that evening but I was unable to attend in the evening as we were moving out that day to the other side of the island. They had a five day organ festival in progress with Dame Gillian Weir playing the next day. It did not seem very well advertised and if I had known about it I would have conspired to change family holiday arrangements!

I have the specification if anyone wants it (email me for a scan). The Orgue Major has three mixtures and seven reeds (at least I think they are reeds but my organ Spanish is almost non-existent) including a “Xirimia alta 4’ T”.