Mander Organ Builders Forum

Herbert Howells Registration

Pierre Lauwers

Galleggiante.

I'd never have bothered to buy an Italian dictionary if it wasn't for Howells.

Doesn't a cockerel say something like this in an anthem by Byrd - if I remember my repertoire correctly?

AJJ

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't a cockerel say something like this in an anthem by Byrd - if I remember my repertoire correctly?

I seem to recall a story about a Choral Scholarship audition where the baritone was asked to sightread the opening of Take Him, Earth, For Cherishing. The nervous candidate began singing: Quasi lento e serioso!

Guest Roffensis
I seem to recall a story about a Choral Scholarship audition where the baritone was asked to sightread the opening of Take Him, Earth, For Cherishing. The nervous candidate began singing: Quasi lento e serioso!

That's just so hilarious!

:lol:

R

Hmm... You've got me there. The best match I can think of is his motet Vigilate, nescetis enim, in which he imitates a cock crowing at the words an gallicantu. Would that be the one?

Hmm... You've got me there. The best match I can think of is his motet Vigilate, nescetis enim, in which he imitates a cock crowing at the words an gallicantu. Would that be the one?

Yup that's it - I had a counter-tenor friend who for some reason had hysterics at that bit every time we sang it - 'not sure why though.

A