Mander Organ Builders Forum

Any Advice On Obtaining Organ Lessons In Paris?

My wife and I have recently moved to Paris in connection with her job. Having now secured work for myself here, one of the other things that the ex-pat contact pays for is for me (somewhat unflatteringly referred to in the corporate bumpf as a "trailing spouse") to engage in some form of academic study. This allowance this has in fact been used by previous accompanying partners for a variety of, ahem, educational topics including golf lessons! Does any board member have any information as to who the best person to contact regarding lessons might be as I am interested in continuing my studies? Also, with regards to practice and such like, has anyone any idea as to whether there is a Parisian "organ society" as various Google searches have yielded "rien". I have made contact with one of the Anglican churches here though rehearsal time is very limited due to the fact that the church is in the basement of a residential block and the inhabitants complain about the noise of the organ especially in the evenings.

Any help most gratefully recieved,

Giles

My wife and I have recently moved to Paris in connection with her job. Having now secured work for myself here, one of the other things that the ex-pat contact pays for is for me (somewhat unflatteringly referred to in the corporate bumpf as a "trailing spouse") to engage in some form of academic study. This allowance this has in fact been used by previous accompanying partners for a variety of, ahem, educational topics including golf lessons! Does any board member have any information as to who the best person to contact regarding lessons might be as I am interested in continuing my studies? Also, with regards to practice and such like, has anyone any idea as to whether there is a Parisian "organ society" as various Google searches have yielded "rien". I have made contact with one of the Anglican churches here though rehearsal time is very limited due to the fact that the church is in the basement of a residential block and the inhabitants complain about the noise of the organ especially in the evenings.

Any help most gratefully recieved,

Giles

Hi,

You could try Ned Tipton at the American Cathedral here or Fred Gramann at the American Church in Paris here. They are both delightful chaps who will be able to advise you further even if they're too busy to take you on as a pupil. Naji Hakim at La Trinité and Marie-Bernadette Dufourcet Hakim at Notre-Dame-des-Champs are also very friendly and I'm sure would point you in the right direction (perhaps one of their pupils) if they had full books.

Ian Ball