Mander Organ Builders Forum

Fj

Henry Willis

But that is exactly how Bach himself "programmed" them when he printed them as the first and last movements of Clavierübung III. There they are separated by a load of chorale preludes and 4 duets.

Indeed - but fortunately not even the purists suggest that you have to play *all* of the stuff in between in order to be able to play both the prelude and the fugue in the same recital ... B)

But that is exactly how Bach himself "programmed" them when he printed them as the first and last movements of Clavierübung III. There they are separated by a load of chorale preludes and 4 duets.

Simon Preston played one of the duetti at his Prom Recital. I'd never heard any of them before. Does anyone here play them?

Simon Preston played one of the duetti at his Prom Recital. I'd never heard any of them before. Does anyone here play them?

I do but I am not sure I would want anyone to hear me!

Cynic has recorded them - at Coventry, I think.

Peter Hurford told a story about discovering either these or the Two Part Inventions when in his teens and expecting that, being in only two parts, they must be easy, then wondering what on earth was wrong with him when he had to work so hard on them.

Yup, precisely!