Mander Organ Builders Forum

Arthur Wills - Carillon On 'orientis Partibus'

AJJ

If anyone out there is aware of or has a recording of the above - I would be very glad to know.

Thanks

AJJ

Yes VPS 1030 The Organ in Ely Cathedral (recorded by Michael Smythe in January 1976). The other pieces are Bach BWV 532, Marchand Basse de trompette , Liszt BACH, Louis Couperin Chacone in C, Franck B minor Choral.

Brian Childs

If anyone out there is aware of or has a recording of the above - I would be very glad to know.

Thanks

AJJ

It was the voluntary on a Priory recording from Hereford Cathedral, played by David Briggs. There was also a great selection of other music sung superbly.

PRCD 247

Jonathan

To drift slightly downwind of the topic, I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the march "City of Ely" by Arthur Wills played after last week's Choral Evensong from Ely Cathedral. I've just got around to listening to my tape of it and had to play the closing voluntary twice! What a belter - and beautifully played on that fantastic H & H. It showed off the Solo reeds very nicely...Worth using the BBC R3 playback thingy.

P

The Jeremy Filsell disc.

Incidentally, the sleeve notes mention that the first recording of the Carillon was Wills himself at Ely in 1976, but give no further details.

Paul

I heard him play it once there following a service - the final hymn was sung to 'Orientis Partibus' complete with vaguely atonal playover.

A

• 2 years later...
It's not for the faint-hearted, and one or two systems will require patient practice...

Thanks. I've just got it and had a first bash through and a little practice before and after services this morning. I think it's 'do-able'. It's a good piece though, well worth persevering with.

Played by Jeremy Filsell on 'Wondrous Machine' (organ music of Arthur Wills) - Guild.

Paul Walton

Also the concluding voluntary, played by David Briggs, on PRCD 5022 'Choral Evensong from Hereford Cathedral'. Only £4.99 direct from Priory.

• 6 years later...

Thanks

AJJ

I've been reading Arthur Wills' autobiography Full with Wills which is most interesting an enjoyable. Is this piece in a Novello album or published separately? I am sure I have it but can't find it!

I've been reading Arthur Wills' autobiography Full with Wills which is most interesting an enjoyable. Is this piece in a Novello album or published separately? I am sure I have it but can't find it!

Here it is....

Published possibly as you say by Novello (according to Dr Wills' website) though not sure if still available. Dr Wills once helped me with some music so maybe would do so again. Incidentally, he is 90 on 19th September.

A

This piece is in Volume 3 of "The Bristol Collection" edited by Lee Hastings Bristol Jr. and published in the USA by Harold Flammer. It is a fine piece and most enjoyable to play.

DKP

Thank you so much DKP - I knew I had it, but to be honest, I had forgotten all about those Bristol Collection volumes, not finding other items all that valuable.