Mander Organ Builders Forum

Cochereau Improvisation Transcriptions

Malcolm Kemp

Could any board member please suggest a few, not over expensive, printed/published transcriptions that give good, contrasting, examples of Cochereau's improvisatory style and harmonic language? I have some CDs but would also like some printed scores. I have an idea that David Briggs might have produced some transcriptions but am not sure. Musicroom has all sorts of pieces by Cochereau available but some are quite expensive and it's not clear which ones would cover what I'm after.

Thanks

Malcolm Kemp

Could any board member please suggest a few, not over expensive, printed/published transcriptions that give good, contrasting, examples of Cochereau's improvisatory style and harmonic language? I have some CDs but would also like some printed scores. I have an idea that David Briggs might have produced some transcriptions but am not sure. Musicroom has all sorts of pieces by Cochereau available but some are quite expensive and it's not clear which ones would cover what I'm after.

Thanks

Malcolm Kemp

'pcnd' who comes on here sometimes is good on this - maybe PM him if he doesn't spot the message first.

AJJ

Thanks

Malcolm Kemp

'Suite de danses' would be a good start. Lots of tricks and harmonic twists to study, and very much the Cochereau style IMO.

David Briggs' transcription and he's recorded them at Blackburn cathedral. Also the recording of the actual improvisation by Cochereau is available from Solstice...

However, as for 'not over expensive' - my score cost £30 in 2003... :lol:

Sadly being French and with Durand doing large amounts of publishing, you have no choice but to pay high. Even the Briggs transcriptions , sold through his own publishing house, feature french-style pricing.

What sort of thing are you looking for? the 1974 Scherzo Symphonique seems to be a very popular piece, i play it, and as long as you have a good grasp of scales (Especially chromatic ones) it's not very hard

"Berceuse à la mémoire de Louis Vierne" transcribed by Frédéric Blanc (impro for Philips May 1973)

This is wonderful, but Blanc's transcription of what Cochereau did is over-simplified and the copy I have came with a substantial list of errata. It's also published by Chantraine. Worth buying, then listening to David Briggs's Truro recording (Priory) and altering the score accordingly, the result is much more beautiful I think. Of course its impossible to transcribe literally what PC did, but Briggs's (and I suspect Filsell's) transcriptions are at least more detailed than those of Blanc or of François Lombard. I have doctored one of the latter's PC transcriptions as well; it was notated entirely in 4/4 whereas Cochereau's original was far freer.

Greetings

Bazuin

... Of course its impossible to transcribe literally what PC did, but Briggs's (and I suspect Filsell's) transcriptions are at least more detailed than those of Blanc or of François Lombard. ...

Greetings

Bazuin

Briggs - yes; Filsell - definitely not. His approach was to write what he thought PC might have played - which, as far as I am concerned, in a transcription is pointless. Thus, Filsell's 'transcription' of the seond Scherzo Symponique is somewhat different and, in several places, obviously inaccurate.

There are recordings available (including one of the original Berceuse à la Mémoire de Louis Vierne), which can be used as guides in order to correct mistakes in the scores.

I have occasionally even (whisper it) altered parts of DJB's transcriptions....

Thanks

Malcolm Kemp

As other contributors have observed, it is possible to suggest a few suitable examples - but not necessarily those which could be described as inexpensive.

The Sortie sur Adeste Fideles is a good example, as is the Tryptique Symphonique. The improvisation which was recorded on the small two-clavier 'travelling' organ at Collioure (Cantem toto la gloria) is a superb example, well worth learning - it is also not particularly difficult.

For the record, the link supplied by Richard McVeigh is extremely useful - except that not all available original recordings are listed. For example, there are CDs available of Cochereau improvising the Variations sur 'Alouette', Symphonie improvisée, Quinze Versets sur 'Ave Maris Stella', Introduction, Choral et Variations sur 'O Filii et Filiae', Sortie sur 'Adeste Fideles', Variations sur un vieux Noël, Variations sur 'Frère Jacques', Suite de Danses pour orgue et percussions, Treize Improvisations sur les versets de vêpres, Cantem Toto la Gloria, Berceuse à la Mémoire de Louis Vierne - and the others listed after the aforementioned on the OHS site.

I have transcribed one or two shorter movements or variations (which are effective as single pieces). I would be happy to consider supplying copies for a small remuneration, if you were interested.

Symphonie en Improvisation (1963) transcribed by John Scott Whiteley

- published by Chantraine

Are you certain? It is not listed in the catalogue currently accessible on-line. The only symphonie is that which was actually written by Cochereau.

Chantraine

If the above link does not work, try this:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/chantraine/CochereauA.html

If this is the case, I would be pleased to track it down, since I have liked this improvisation ever since I first heard it. A few years ago, DJB mentioned to me that John Scott Whiteley had transcribed it and intended to submit it for publication.

Dear PCND

If you would care to send me a PM listing what you have available in the way of your own transcriptions and how much you owuld like in the way of payment I would be happy to send you a cheque wich more than covers the cost and, at thre same time, give you my address.

Malcolm Kemp

Are you certain? It is not listed in the catalogue currently accessible on-line. The only symphonie is that which was actually written by Cochereau.

Chantraine

If the above link does not work, try this:

http://www.angelfire.com/oh/chantraine/CochereauA.html

If this is the case, I would be pleased to track it down, since I have liked this improvisation ever since I first heard it. A few years ago, DJB mentioned to me that John Scott Whiteley had transcribed it and intended to submit it for publication.

Indeed I'd be tempted to sell wife and kids to get hold of a good transcription of this, the best of the 2 improvised Coch symphonies on record. DJB once showed me JSW's handwritten transcription of the first movement, although there was an ongoing debate about the accuracy of the first chord :rolleyes: (which, understandably, JSW had struggled to capture). I too saw an advert for the whole thing in print and would love a copy.

IFB

When I was at Bristol Cathedral for one of the Nine Lessons and Carols services over Xmas 2007 I did hear an improvisation on "Adeste Fideles" (O Come All Ye Faithful) which I think was by Cochereau.

It was played by Paul Walton (member of this board) and drew lengthy rounds of applause after the NL&C services on both days that they took place. (I got to hear it both days as someone I know is a steward of the cathedral).

(Any chance of that piece being heard again this year, Paul?)

Dave

When I was at Bristol Cathedral for one of the Nine Lessons and Carols services over Xmas 2007 I did hear an improvisation on "Adeste Fideles" (O Come All Ye Faithful) which I think was by Cochereau.

It was played by Paul Walton (member of this board) and drew lengthy rounds of applause after the NL&C services on both days that they took place. (I got to hear it both days as someone I know is a steward of the cathedral).

(Any chance of that piece being heard again this year, Paul?)

Dave

Erm, wasn't that David Briggs's Sortie (as also heard in King's College Chapel, Cambridge)? Some might say you could be forgiven for believing it to be the work of M Cochereau...I couldn't possibly comment.

Erm, wasn't that David Briggs's Sortie (as also heard in King's College Chapel, Cambridge)? Some might say you could be forgiven for believing it to be the work of M Cochereau...I couldn't possibly comment.

and...

Erm, wasn't David Briggs' Sortie on 'In Dulci Jubilo'... :mellow:

I don't knnow. Perhaps it could have been.

I recognised it as Adeste Fideles only when that tune kicked in. The service sheet gave neither the title nor composer of the piece. I will PM Paul.

Dave

Just for the record, I played the Cochereau Adeste Fideles after Nine Lessons on 23rd and 24th December, and the Briggs In dulci after the Christmas morning service on 25th December.

Paul

P.S. You might get another Cochereau (Venez Divin Messie) this year, Dave, but I haven't decided yet - plus, being Messiaen year, Dieu parmi nous will have to get an outing somewhere.

Just for the record, I played the Cochereau Adeste Fideles after Nine Lessons on 23rd and 24th December, and the Briggs In dulci after the Christmas morning service on 25th December.

Ahhhhh! Thanks for the clarification.

P.S. You might get another Cochereau (Venez Divin Messie) this year, Dave, but I haven't decided yet - plus, being Messiaen year, Dieu parmi nous will have to get an outing somewhere.

Delighted you're learning Venez Divin Messie - my absolute favourite :mellow: