Mander Organ Builders Forum

Julian Mcnamara

I happen to be spending some time in Hull and yesterday went to the City Hall to hear an excellent recital given by Julian McNamara, son of former Labour MP and minister, Kevin McNamara. I was sitting in the audience with “Cynic” and we both agreed that Julian had given a first-class performance of works by J S Bach, Haydn, Lang, Mendelssohn, Widor, Bridge and Elgar. He is currently Director of Music at Woodcote Oratory School. I have to admit that until this recital the name of Julian McNamara would have passed me by. He seems to have no further recitals booked (pity), but if ever he does it would be well worth the time to go and listen to him.

I happen to be spending some time in Hull and yesterday went to the City Hall to hear an excellent recital given by Julian McNamara, son of former Labour MP and minister, Kevin McNamara. I was sitting in the audience with “Cynic” and we both agreed that Julian had given a first-class performance of works by J S Bach, Haydn, Lang, Mendelssohn, Widor, Bridge and Elgar. He is currently Director of Music at Woodcote Oratory School. I have to admit that until this recital the name of Julian McNamara would have passed me by. He seems to have no further recitals booked (pity), but if ever he does it would be well worth the time to go and listen to him.

=========================

There is a splendid story associated with this surname, and which is connected with Hull.

When Andrew Leach was assistant at Beverley, he taught somewhere or other, and the school music inspector decided to make a visit. Andrew went to Hull Paragon station to meet her off the train.

The lady arrived, and Andrew met her as agreed; not quite sure of her name prior to her arrival.

Somehow they made contact, and she announced, "Macnamara - school music inspector!"

Larger than life as always, Andrew replied, "Your name is Macnamara, and you're the leader of the band, what?"

The lady was not at all amused!

MM

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT

How lovely to read of a past student (New College) and doing so well. Thanks for that. He was the young gentleman that caused a stir in the Labour Party when he won a Music Scholarship to Ampleforth and his father had to stand up for his artistic rights. Thank God he did.

Best wishes,

N