Mander Organ Builders Forum

Help Needed Desperately!

Guest Hector5

Guest Hector5

Dear All,

I have been asked to improvise on the hymn to St Vincent (the patron Saint of Vignerons) for my 'do' at Meursault. While I am happy to do this off the cuff, it would be interesting to catch sight of said hymn for interest's sake. Do any of you have access to anything like a French hymn book, or know where I can find the music for the hymn????????? The www does not throw up anything, and I've never really seen a French hymnbook.

Help!

Hector

Guest Roffensis
Dear All,

I have been asked to improvise on the hymn to St Vincent (the patron Saint of Vignerons) for my 'do' at Meursault. While I am happy to do this off the cuff, it would be interesting to catch sight of said hymn for interest's sake. Do any of you have access to anything like a French hymn book, or know where I can find the music for the hymn????????? The www does not throw up anything, and I've never really seen a French hymnbook.

Help!

Hector

That's a difficult one. My humble suggestion is to do very fast arpeggios in both hands (with the odd fistful of notes in the left hand played staccato, including as much chromaticm as you can manage), and then roll around on the pedalboard. If the tune does not fit what it is supposed to, you can tell them that you inverted it or something. Manuals could be in 5/4, pedals 4/4. I think it would be most impressively French. Another trick is knock a few reeds out of tune. :lol:

R

Guest Roffensis
Oh, and when you get near the end don't forget to include a march section with staccato chords.

I forgot that. If you have a Swell Sub Octave, ever the most useful stop on any organ, and one that should be used as much as possible, use that too. If there is a manual 32 ft flue that will help still further in the huge build up. To keep the punters even more happy, try to "finish" on a seventh chord, while doing trills on the left hand, and then resolve it at the end with 20 bars of mania that bears no resemblance whatever to what you did earlier. I've actually done much of this myself as a joke, and someone afterwards asked what it was. It was actually based on three blind mice backwards. That scared me! :lol:

R

Guest Hector5
I forgot that. If you have a Swell Sub Octave, ever the most useful stop on any organ, and one that should be used as much as possible, use that too. If there is a manual 32 ft flue that will help still further in the huge build up. To keep the punters even more happy, try to "finish" on a seventh chord, while doing trills on the left hand, and then resolve it at the end with 20 bars of mania that bears no resemblance whatever to what you did earlier. I've actually done much of this myself as a joke, and someone afterwards asked what it was. It was actually based on three blind mice backwards. That scared me! :lol:

R

Oh har-de-har-har!!!!!!! My request for assistance was for help in finding a copy of the really obscure theme as I am aware that there are some French/Belgian members of the list. I know some of you find this a bit of a joke, but this is a big deal for me, and I'd really like to get it right.

Hector