Mander Organ Builders Forum

Carlisle Cathedral

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

On monday night, 14th July, I went to hear D'Arcy Trinkwon give an all Messiaen recital on the organ in Carlisle Cathedral. It has to be said that the organ here is an old Willis of 1857, but rather "got at" in the past, and with an English and rather honking "fattish" Tuba, ideal for Cocker and Whitlock but for French? and Messiaen?

Well sometimes, apparently so. The recital amazed me. Some organists play fast but do not phrase, but this one throws himself at some passages like the Devil himself is playing, an almost apocalyptic sound, and I was again reminded of Allan Wicks, who of course among others D'Arcy Trinkwon studied with. I never thought the Carlisle organ would fit this music so well, yet it did. Even that Tuba, because used so conservatively, fitted the music perfectly, the whole recital was superb. Works were given colour and time, some became terrifying, the close of Transports I have never heard phrased and coloured, and attacked! The Ressurrection was magnificent. It was dark! very dark!

R

On monday night, 14th July, I went to hear D'Arcy Trinkwon give an all Messiaen recital on the organ in Carlisle Cathedral. It has to be said that the organ here is an old Willis of 1857, but rather "got at" in the past, and with an English and rather honking "fattish" Tuba, ideal for Cocker and Whitlock but for French? and Messiaen?

Well sometimes, apparently so. The recital amazed me. Some organists play fast but do not phrase, but this one throws himself at some passages like the Devil himself is playing, an almost apocalyptic sound, and I was again reminded of Allan Wicks, who of course among others D'Arcy Trinkwon studied with. I never thought the Carlisle organ would fit this music so well, yet it did. Even that Tuba, because used so conservatively, fitted the music perfectly, the whole recital was superb. Works were given colour and time, some became terrifying, the close of Transports I have never heard phrased and coloured, and attacked! The Ressurrection was magnificent. It was dark! very dark!

R

This makes me look forward even more to his recital at Arundel Cathedral on Saturday 26 July.

Jonathan

Guest Roffensis
This makes me look forward even more to his recital at Arundel Cathedral on Saturday 26 July.

Jonathan

Indeed yes. Sadly it looks very much that I will be unable to go to the Arundel Cathedral recital due to commitments.

I'd love to be able to go. :(

I am sure you will enjoy it! :)

R