Mander Organ Builders Forum

Diana Bish

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

Does anyone have any of Diana Bish's DVDs "The joy of music"? I am given to understand that she has helped bring the organ into the modern world by a very human and singular approach, indeed one could say she brings the message of the Lord Jesus Chirst into both the organ loft and the highstreet, by touring cities in which she plays and chatting to people. What a wonderfully unique approach to organ music. I think some of our Cathedral Organists should do this. Such an outreach.

R

Pomp and Circumstance from Canterbury Cathedral

There are many more.

http://youtube.com/results?search_query=di..._type=&aq=f

Best wishes

J

Does anyone have any of Diana Bish's DVDs "The joy of music"? I am given to understand that she has helped bring the organ into the modern world by a very human and singular approach, indeed one could say she brings the message of the Lord Jesus Chirst into both the organ loft and the highstreet, by touring cities in which she plays and chatting to people. What a wonderfully unique approach to organ music. I think some of our Cathedral Organists should do this. Such an outreach.

R

...indeed one could say she brings the message of the Lord Jesus Chirst into both the organ loft and the highstreet, by touring cities in which she plays and chatting to people. What a wonderfully unique approach to organ music. I think some of our Cathedral Organists should do this....

You're making an awfully big assumption that many of our cathedral organists actually believe the message themselves...

You're making an awfully big assumption that many of our cathedral organists actually believe the message themselves...

And when would our Cathedral organists find time to do this??? I don't think Ms. Bish plays in a church that produces first class music on a daily basis!!

R

I'm sorry to read the lukewarm or negative reactions to Richard's post. Anyone who brings the organ and its music to more people has my wholehearted support. As for bringing the Christian message to the wider public, I suspect I am not alone on this board in seeing that as one of my aims in life - and I am proud to say so.

JC

I'm sorry to read the lukewarm or negative reactions to Richard's post. Anyone who brings the organ and its music to more people has my wholehearted support. As for bringing the Christian message to the wider public, I suspect I am not alone on this board in seeing that as one of my aims in life - and I am proud to say so.

JC

There is no doubt that any church musician is bringing the Christian message to the wider public - even if they either don't "believe" or don't wear their religion on their sleeves. However, I think that every single cathedral musician who is involved in the Opus Dei is doing more than Ms. Bish to promote the Christian message as she seems to play mostly concerts which happen to be in churches and she just happens to be a Christian!

What I am sorry to read is the negative comments about Cathedral organists!! I am not one BTW, just a humble parish church organist who happens to play in Cathedrals a bit.

Can Roffensis clarify what he thinks Cathedral organists should be doing more of? Bringing the organ into the modern world or the Christian message or both??? And could he suggest how they do these things and when/where?

Whether or not a cathedral or church musician, organist or singer, actually believes in the Christian message, it is their duty to endorse and enhance that message in order to make worship meaningful for others (those with ears to hear). That is what the job is about. I would sincerely hope that no one in such a position is actively unsympathetic to such a role.

Guest Roffensis
Whether or not a cathedral or church musician, organist or singer, actually believes in the Christian message, it is their duty to endorse and enhance that message in order to make worship meaningful for others (those with ears to hear). That is what the job is about. I would sincerely hope that no one in such a position is actively unsympathetic to such a role.

Quite.

R