Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Andrew's, Shottery, Stratford-upon-avon

handsoff

I yesterday wandered around to the church where I first played for a service (Good Friday morning c. 1965). The lady cleaning the church was more than welcoming and once she knew my connection (chorister, server, deputy organist, both parents' ashes interred under the tree in the churchyard) and recognised my surname, she was quite happy for me open the organ, take some photos, note the specification for NPOR (organ not on site) and finally have a quick play.

I was horrified to learn that his W.H.Hewins instrument, recently expanded by Organ Tuning Services of SonA (not with pipes from Worcester :lol: ) is under threat of replacement by a toaster. It gets worse. The "organist", in reality a music teacher rather than a true organist, wants to do the deed! The organ is in good condition with much more nicely voiced pipes than I recall from years ago.

I wonder if Nigel Allcoat or Martin Stanley have heard anything more?

As an aside, when I was a chorister there, it was always wise to try to arrange a seat at the end of the stall as the blower wasn't all that reliable then, and there was the chance to earn a further shilling (5p) for pumping the handle in the vestry...

Out of interest, a photograph is here. (I don't think that the proximity of the fire extinguisher to the organ is of relevance...)

The specification is:-

Swell

Gedact 8'

Gamba 8'

Oboe 8'

Great

Open Diapason 8'

Principal 4'

Fifteenth 2'

Claribel 8'

Pedal

Echo Bourdon 16'

Tremulant

Swell to Great

Swell to Pedal

Great to Pedal

Two non-adjustable combination pedals to each manual. Mechanical action and hitch-up swell pedal. Concave and radiating pedal board.

I was horrified to learn that his W.H.Hewins instrument, recently expanded by Organ Tuning Services of SonA (not with pipes from Worcester :lol: ) is under threat of replacement by a toaster. It gets worse. The "organist", in reality a music teacher rather than a true organist, wants to do the deed! The organ is in good condition with much more nicely voiced pipes than I recall from years ago.

The specification is:-

Swell

Gedact 8'

Gamba 8'

Oboe 8'

Great

Open Diapason 8'

Principal 4'

Fifteenth 2'

Claribel 8'

Pedal

Echo Bourdon 16'

Tremulant

Swell to Great

Swell to Pedal

Great to Pedal

Two non-adjustable combination pedals to each manual. Mechanical action and hitch-up swell pedal. Concave and radiating pedal board.

By whose definition are they a 'music teacher'? I would be surprised and disappointed if a professional musician of any real worth (even if their primary area of expertise was in a discipline other than organ performance/choral accompaniment) would be prepared to ditch a serviceable pipe organ for a device....or am I being too idealistic?

By whose definition are they a 'music teacher'? I would be surprised and disappointed if a professional musician of any real worth (even if their primary area of expertise was in a discipline other than organ performance/choral accompaniment) would be prepared to ditch a serviceable pipe organ for a device....or am I being too idealistic?

I asked the lady in the church who was the current organist/choirmaster. She said a local music teacher and his wife....I suspect he's a pianist who's been roped in. I'll go to a service either tomorrow or next week and hear what's going on. I wondered if he wants something more "flashy"?

I'll also contact the vicar, request a play for old times sake and make some comments about the historical worthiness etc and see what comes back.

Thanks also for the PMs - I'll respond later - Mrs T. is waiting to go the Farmers' Market...

Peter

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I wonder if Nigel Allcoat or Martin Stanley have heard anything more?

I know much about this church and the situation.

Best wishes,

Nigel