Mander Organ Builders Forum

Dud Pipes

DaveHarries

Quite the opposite, I would think. Although the photo isn't quite clear enough to show the mouths clearly, I suspect that these are speaking pipes.

The length of the pipes doesn't really come into the equation. They will have slots cut at the back for tuning purposes. Indeed, an organ in a neighbouring town here has a case which appears to be of very narrow scale 16ft pipes. However, when you go inside the instrument, you can see that these pipes are all slotted half way (and further) down, and are actually the bottom couple of octaves or so of the Great Open Diapason 8'

Although the photo isn't quite clear enough to show the mouths clearly, I suspect that these are speaking pipes.

Quite right!

We have looked after this organ since 1954 when we 'absorbed' Ingrams. The piopes in question are the lowest 9 notes of the Great Open Diapason 8ft and they do all speak, conveyed from the soundboard, directly behind.

DW

Quite right!

We have looked after this organ since 1954 when we 'absorbed' Ingrams. The piopes in question are the lowest 9 notes of the Great Open Diapason 8ft and they do all speak, conveyed from the soundboard, directly behind.

DW

It continues to amaze me when I do quotes and advice on organ work, how many people think that the only pipes an organ has are those they can see!

J

• 2 months later...
It continues to amaze me when I do quotes and advice on organ work, how many people think that the only pipes an organ has are those they can see!

J

I remember going to a new school hall (circa 1957) where the architect had been informed that he had to make space for the existing organ to be installed in the new building without alteration to size or layout. We had been told that he was perfectly capable of doing this and in due course arrived to view the situalion before beginning the transplant.

We inspected the new site and found the console area perfectly adequate and then aked to see the pipe chambers. "What pipe chambers?" said the architect. Which is why the School had to go electronic.

Frank Fowler

Another interesting one:

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/09/01/26/10/stmary10.jpg

It is an incredibly beautiful-at least to the ears!- Aeolian-Skinner nobody dares touch at it.

Pierre

Christchurch Priory looked a bit like that up to intallation of the casework etc. by Nicholson. The lights on do not help - 'could be the setting for a new production of West Side Story!!

AJJ

Christchurch Priory looked a bit like that up to intallation of the casework etc. by Nicholson. The lights on do not help - 'could be the setting for a new production of West Side Story!!

AJJ

Somewhere I have a set of monochrome photographs which I took of the old organ in Christchurch Priory (including several of the state of the inside), as it was before it was rebuilt. If anyone is interested, I can try to hunt for them.

• 2 weeks later...
Another interesting one:

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/09/01/26/10/stmary10.jpg

It is an incredibly beautiful-at least to the ears!- Aeolian-Skinner nobody dares touch at it.

Pierre

When is the case being added? Seriously though, I'm surprised they were allowed to have it looking like that.

St. Edmundsbury Cathedral organ hasn't had a west facing case since it was rebuilt in 1970. All that's on show is part of the frame, truncking and the Trompetta Real (the pipes of which were obviously not intended to be on show).

John R

I was told recently that the St Edmundsbury Cathedral are talking about having a Dykes-Bower style case made on the lines of the one in St Nicholas Parish Church, Great Yarmouth. Whether this is going to happen soon or not I'm not sure. Perhaps someone on this forum knows. Lots of colour and gold-leaf sounds good to me!!