Mander Organ Builders Forum

Stanley's Trumpet Voluntary

Charles Wooler

I used to have a very naughty filling out of the famous Stanley Trumpet Voluntary (the one from Op 6 No V) that had lots of nice filled out chords in the left hand and at some points the right hand too. It was published in a volume of Stanley Pieces (I'm fairly certain it was a one composer volume anyway) by OUP in one of their Oxford Organ Music volumes and had the usual sea-green and white stripes alternating on the front with white staves set into the sea-green stripes. It is to my mind, the best non-authentic arrangement (by Henry Ley or Bairstow perhaps but I'm willing to be corrected) that I have come accross, better for my money than for example the one in the Oxford Wedding Albums book. I'm playing at the Kelvingrove Gallery in Glasgow for one of their Sunday Recitals and it seems like an ideal opener to me, but I can not find my copy anywhere. Does anyone know the book I'm after, if it is still in print and where I can get a copy (new or otherwise of it from).

Many thanks,

Charles

What you are looking for is Suite for Organ by John Stanley, arranged/edited by Henry Coleman and, as you say, published by OUP. Tasteless, vulgar Philistine that I am, I still use it myself and I know of at least two other organists in Brighton who do likewise. I like it better than the more "correct" editions.

Roger Molyneux does not have it in his current catalogue. Another possible second-hand source is Music-by-the-score (an on-line site). I am sure that either Banks Music Publications (01653 628545) or Allegro Music (closed until after 9th August) could get one-off new copies for you as they can for most out-of-print Novello and OUP items.

If you really get into difficulties with those sources send me a PM in due course. A notable local organist has just offered my organ scholars and me the pick of her organ music as she no longer plays so I will see whether she has this volume. That would be one possibility.........

Malcolm Kemp

Thanks for that Malcolm- I know what you mean. I like to play it both ways but on this occasion at the Kelvingrove where I have a large Lewis and the nature of the concert (entertaining people from a large loft on high whilst they mill around the gallery looking at the exhibits) means that everything needs to make an impact because the audience are far from silent and nothing below mf will be heard at all.

I will get onto Banks tomorrow but if anyone else has any othewr suggestions they would be most welcome.

Charles

I used to have a very naughty filling out of the famous Stanley Trumpet Voluntary (the one from Op 6 No V) that had lots of nice filled out chords in the left hand and at some points the right hand too. It was published in a volume of Stanley Pieces (I'm fairly certain it was a one composer volume anyway) by OUP in one of their Oxford Organ Music volumes and had the usual sea-green and white stripes alternating on the front with white staves set into the sea-green stripes. It is to my mind, the best non-authentic arrangement (by Henry Ley or Bairstow perhaps but I'm willing to be corrected) that I have come accross, better for my money than for example the one in the Oxford Wedding Albums book. I'm playing at the Kelvingrove Gallery in Glasgow for one of their Sunday Recitals and it seems like an ideal opener to me, but I can not find my copy anywhere. Does anyone know the book I'm after, if it is still in print and where I can get a copy (new or otherwise of it from).

Many thanks,

Charles

I have the OUP/Coleman copy. PM me if you can't get a copy, you can borrow mine. R.

A related question: does anyone play the Harcey Grace "free" arrangement of the Purcell Trumpet Tune which incorporates a simulated peal of bells as a subsiduary subject? It's great fun, and a crowd-pleaser.

Peter

I may be imagining it, but didn't Dupré also arrange one of the Daquin Noels in that fashion too, with the peal of bells played on the pedals?

A related question: does anyone play the Harcey Grace "free" arrangement of the Purcell Trumpet Tune which incorporates a simulated peal of bells as a subsiduary subject? It's great fun, and a crowd-pleaser.

Peter

I have a copy - in place of one of the usual airs, there is a cunning arrangement of the overture to the Bell Anthem. I have never heard it performed and have always preferred the other Harvey Grace arrangement that Noel Rasthorne used on his Great Cathedral Organs recording with the G major air (or whatever it's called) between the D major Trumpet Tune and the Cebell.