Mander Organ Builders Forum

Radio 3 Next Week

handsoff

I've just had my usual flick through the RT and see that there is an unprecedented amount of organ music on R3 next week.

Sunday sees a couple more bits (quite decent bits..) of Messiaen with Jennifer Bates on the afternoon prom. and the rest of the week has something every day, mostly in the 10 to midday "Classical Collection" programme. Composers vary from Bach (various performers inc Virgil Fox), Vierne, Widor, Poulenc and so on.

What a turnaround from just a few months ago. The BBC does respond to listeners' comments...

P

Crikey - I see what you mean. About a third of Classical Collection next week features the organ. And very varied, too, ranging from Franz Tunder to some piece that I take to have been written last week. I think it was called Rrrrr.

Let's hope this is a sign of better things to come rather than of the entire year's quota of organ music having been crammed into a single week to get it out of the way.

Let's hope this is a sign of better things to come rather than of the entire year's quota of organ music having been crammed into a single week to get it out of the way.

Yes, indeed! But I'm not holding my breath......

Next week's schedule seems to be part way between what we've had in recent years (odd pieces scattered throughout the day's schedule, and therefore difficult to find) and what we used to have decades ago (programmes dedicated to organ music - easy to find but arguably ghettoised).

The question I'd like to discuss is this: which of these approaches will do most for the organ and its repertoire?

Well, the best of both worlds, surely!

Organ music scattered throughout the usual schedule, AND programmes dedicated to the King of Instruments. Perhaps the BBC will see the light.....

Or is that a herd of porcine creatures I see gliding in front of the moon?

Well, the best of both worlds, surely!

Organ music scattered throughout the usual schedule, AND programmes dedicated to the King of Instruments. Perhaps the BBC will see the light.....

Or is that a herd of porcine creatures I see gliding in front of the moon?

The porcine I fear :P

Well, since Auuntie has finally listened to the chorus of organists who have repeatedly been citicising her for neglecting the organ, i hope we're all going to write in next week to thank them so much for the organ music we've finally heard. If we don't, it will simply reinformce their view that noone listens to organ music any more so they don't need to broadcast it...

Changing the subject slightly, I frequently listen to Classic FM but can't ever remember hearing anything for the organ other than Widor and BWV565.

If we don't, it will simply reinformce their view that noone listens to organ music any more so they don't need to broadcast it...

Good point!

Changing the subject slightly, I frequently listen to Classic FM but can't ever remember hearing anything for the organ other than Widor and BWV565.

What, do you mean that there is any other music for the organ???? :huh::lol::blink: