Mander Organ Builders Forum

Shipley Recital

notebasher

Members may be interested in a recital to be given by Harry Bramma on Saturday 20 September at St. Paul's Shipley, West Yorkshire, 7.30 pm. This has been arranged by the Bradford Organists' Association as one of their meetings, but it is an open event and we'd like to get as many as possible to come, hence no admission charge, but a collection. The organ is a very good 3-manual Binns, due for some restoration. See here http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N00083. Currently I play here most Sundays. Be good to see any members who can come. There will be a bar too!

Ron.

Members may be interested in a recital to be given by Harry Bramma on Saturday 20 September at St. Paul's Shipley, West Yorkshire, 7.30 pm. This has been arranged by the Bradford Organists' Association as one of their meetings, but it is an open event and we'd like to get as many as possible to come, hence no admission charge, but a collection. The organ is a very good 3-manual Binns, due for some restoration. See here http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch...ec_index=N00083. Currently I play here most Sundays. Be good to see any members who can come. There will be a bar too!

Ron.

Ron,

Has it got the Binns Patent adjustable pistons?

Due to the distance and Weddings I am unable to come, but wish you well.

Barrie

Ron,

Barrie

Hello Barrie. No it doesn't have that feature, and I can't see any evidence that it ever did (like the setter stopknobs) - unless there's something I've missed. The piston actions were electrified in the 1950s and updated in 1982 when the pedal action was electrified. Manual actions remain pneumatic and the intention is to retain this feature. Spec is unchanged from 1892 - no plans to alter that either.

Sorry you won't be able to come! Hope you're keeping OK.

Ron

Ron,

Barrie

Hello Barrie. No it doesn't have that feature, and I can't see any evidence that it ever did (like the setter stopknobs) - unless there's something I've missed. The piston actions were electrified in the 1950s and updated in 1982 when the pedal action was electrified. Manual actions remain pneumatic and the intention is to retain this feature. Spec is unchanged from 1892 - no plans to alter that either.

Sorry you won't be able to come! Hope you're keeping OK.

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

Ron.

I won't be able to make the recital but I am glad to see that Harry is still on the recital circuit. He taught me for a while when he was at Southwark and is a true gentleman, completely self-effacing. I remember two memorable recitals he gave, one at St Mary's Rotherhithe (a fine Byfield) and then at the South Bank Poly where he shared the console with TT. Harry played Mendelsohnn 3, and I think TT did the Litolff Scherzo.

He was chair of the Southwark and South London Organists Society and I was at one time on the committee. We would meet at his house by the Cathedral and would always offer a drink - a G&T in my case - to, as he put it, "improve the shining hour". He was very encouraging to me, particularly if I shared a recital with other members when he would congratulate the players with equal enthusiasm.

Peter