Mander Organ Builders Forum

Demessieux - Te Deum ; Just How Hard Is It ?

MAB

Title says it all really.

Just how hard is this piece ?

It is one of those pieces that I really want to learn, and pick up every year determined to crack it (by now I think I have fingered every single note) but then just seem to hit a brick wall.

It was in the FRCO list the year I got my Fellowship, so it should not be superhumanly difficult.

I am sure the answer, as always, is practice, practice and more practice, but I wondered if anyone here who plays it has any tips for some of the more awkward more moments. In particular, the octave chord skips always seem to catch me out.

Any help gratefully received !

MAB

It is one of those pieces that I really want to learn, and pick up every year determined to crack it (by now I think I have fingered every single note) but then just seem to hit a brick wall.

It was in the FRCO list the year I got my Fellowship, so it should not be superhumanly difficult.

I am sure the answer, as always, is practice, practice and more practice, but I wondered if anyone here who plays it has any tips for some of the more awkward more moments. In particular, the octave chord skips always seem to catch me out.

MAB

Deja vu?

Haven't we been asked exactly this question recently? I'm very nearly completely sure......though..maybe it's just me.

Demessieux Te Deum: - definitely 'hard' - the hardest bits I would reckon are the fast octave jumps with RH four-part chords. Learn this section first and the hard work will be over. Like so many works, if you set out to learn it slowly it ought eventually to respond. If you can play Transports de Joie, Dieu Parmi Nous or Variations on a Noel (up to speed!) this should hold no especial terrors, though a wrong note here will show up more.

I think it's wonderful - up there with the very best of the 20th century. If you love it, spend some quality time and go for it!

Have fun!

P.

MAB

I think you have a simple choice with this passage (I assume you mean p 8/9) - either learn the passage so you can play from memory and look at your hands or practice the leaps (slowly at first) until your hands can just do them. I tried the former and failed so knuckled down to the latter and succeeded. A similar approach was needed on p 2 & 4 (not octaves but equally awkward at first). It took a while, but it is well worth it and, having learnt it that thoroughly I find it doesn't need much work to polish it back up again.

Good luck with the preseverance!

mgp

Incidentally JD isn't 100% accurate on her 1958 recording at the Madeleine - plus some interesting changes/octave transpositions to accomodate the limited manual compass (to F at that time).

Thank you for these responses. They have really helped me in a practical way, and boosted my motivation.

Due to a problem with my computer, I could only watch the video rather than listen to it, but it was very helpful.

Many thanks, as always.

M

Would watching someone else play it be of any help? If so,
just came out.

This DVD looks really exciting and I will probably buy it based on the youtube evidence - the organ at Waldsassen has been mentioned elsewhere on the 6 manuals topic but does anyone have a link to a spec. please? Also - I have not heard of Maxime Patel before but he seems to have a fearsome technique - does anyone know his background?

AJJ