Mander Organ Builders Forum

Franck - Final

Peter Clark

Does anybody play this piece (should it be Finale?)? I learnt it about 20 years ago and recently dug it out as I was looking for something "different" to finish with. Has it been recorded? Do we know the year(s) it was written? The marking is allegro maestoso - what metronome mark is recommended?

Thanks

Peter

Does anybody play this piece (should it be Finale?)? I learnt it about 20 years ago and recently dug it out as I was looking for something "different" to finish with. Has it been recorded? Do we know the year(s) it was written? The marking is allegro maestoso - what metronome mark is recommended?

Thanks

Peter

Try this link:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=OFPXI2f...esult#PPA151,M1

[quote name='Peter Clark' date='Sep 8 2008, 09:00 AM' post='40216'

(should it be Finale?) Has it been recorded?

Yes - Final=French, Finale=Italian

It's the last work (Final) in the suite of six pieces op. 16-21 published in 1868.

Lots of recordings - Arthur Wills at Ely on the then newly-rebuilt organ was my first experience of this piece...

Metronome speeds - Dupre played it at crotchet 110, Langlais at 120 and Tournemire at 132. A few years ago someone came across a copy which supposedly had metronome pencil markings in Franck's own writing. Whilst most of these markings were considerably (and impractically) faster than tempi adopted everyone else (including Dupre, Langlais and Tournemire) it is noteworthy that in the case of the final it was slower with a marking of crotchet 100. Of course the organ and the acoustics of the building need to be taken into account. See Organists' Review of August 2000.

Excellent books are

"Toward an authentic Imnterpretation of the Organ Works of Cesar Franck" - Rollin Smith - Pendragon Press (New York) and

"French organ music from the Revolutino to Franck and Widor" - Archbold and Peterson - University of Rochester Press

Both are easily available on line.

I have the Arthur Wills recording mentioned above and also a CD set of the complete works played by David Sanger. I don't number the Final amongst my favourite Franck pieces and have therefore never learned it.

Malcolm Kemp

First heard the Final played by GTB at Westminster Cathedral in 1971, and learned it many years later. It's dedicated to, and is a gentle dig at, "Monsieur Lefebure-Wely", and is really tongue-in-cheek. It can therefore be approached in the same spirit as one of M Lefebure-Wely's Sorties.