Mander Organ Builders Forum

Lady Organists

themythes

I have just come across the posting by MM about notable female organists (June 12 -The James Bond Thread) in which he reminds us that at their best they can equal or surpass most mere males. There must, equally, be a large number of unsung female heroines who rarely catch the eye; for some years now I have been searching the internet in vain to ascertain the progress, if any, of a lady, who, some years ago advertised an organ recital in the American Guild of Organists “Music” magazine of October 1978. Her programme, from Christ Church, Detroit, was one that many of us would not undertake unadvisedly, lightly or wantonly – the Bach F major Toccata, Vierne 1 finale, Dupre G minor P & F, Franck 3 and some Peeters to round it off. Only someone seriously minded would essay such repertoire and I am keen to know what sort of reputation she may now enjoy. Google throws up nothing that appears to be relevant but I cannot believe that such an arresting name as hers would not have attracted much attention from concert promoters. How the devil could anyone fade into obscurity with a name like “Randy Lynn Bangs”?

David Harrison

Further to my original posting, I have since managed to elicit another nugget of information to refute any suggestion that the priapically named lady in question was not a figment of my diseased imagination.

It seems that no less a giant of the journalistic scene than the great Victor Lewis Smith, he of the racy section of Private Eye and Bach Organ Music on the telly, has referred to her on more than one occasion. I have not purchased the right to read the whole article but there is enough to suggest that further research could yield positive results.

Try “The American Organist - back issues”.

I wonder if any university would accept me for a Ph.D thesis on this subject?

David Harrison

• 15 years later...

David,

I was a friend and acquaintance of Randy Lynn Bangs back in the late 70s early 80s. We were students together at the University of Miami (FL) School of Music. She was working on her Master's and then a DMA in organ performance and I was doing my undergraduate degree in Music Ed/Organ Performance. Our organ professor, Arden Whitacre, had studied with Dupre and Flor Peeters. Joyce Jones was his (famous) pupil (I want to say at Rollins College?) Randy Lynn also studied with Flor Peeters and performed his wonderful Variations on a Flemish Christmas Carol. It was fabulous to hear her perform it! I can remember hearing her perform the other works you mention above.

I have quite fond memories of those days. The Organ Department was very small. We had only one small studio pipe organ for lessons/practice and 10 or less students perhaps at any one time. We would listen to each other practice, turn pages for each other at recitals, and have parties where Arden would smoke huge Cuban cigars while drinking straight gin, and we would talk about geeky, nerdy organ stuff. Sadly, I have completely lost touch with my fellow students from those days. Richard Schneider is a Catholic Church/School musician up in Michigan. Richard and Rebekah Chapman and I had the opportunity to study with Flor Peeters for a few months one summer. We had an amazing experience. I can find no trace of Becky on the internet. Tim Berlew—who was a fabulous organist and eventually became an Episcopal priest—passed away a few years ago, he was quite young. All very fine organists, Arden was an amazing teacher. 

Anyways, coming back from Memory Lane—from what I can remember, Randy was from the Detroit area. I want to say she did her undergraduate work at Wayne State University. Not sure how/why she ended up in Miami. I'm guessing it was the Peeters/Whitacre connection. I think that she applied for the organ position at U of M when Arden either retired or passed away. I think she was passed over for the position and there may have been some trouble with the University and a lawsuit. I was long gone from Miami by then.

She was a good friend and I too have been unable to find any trace of her. I have a concert program from her Master's Recital at U of M from April 1981. It is too large to attach here. If you are interested we can connect off list and I can figure out how to send it. Bach F & F in g minor, Bach Chorale Preludes, Franck 3,  Vierne Final, Peeters Variations.

~Allan Weberg

Sadly, David Harrison died in October 2019.  I’m sure he would have appreciated your trouble, and all the information.

I am no longer in touch with anyone at the University of Michigan but, as you will know, the organ department there acquired great fame and prestige during the long tenure of Marilyn Mason, also since 2019 no longer with us, as Head of the Department.