Mander Organ Builders Forum

St. Peter & St. Mary, Barnstaple

DaveHarries

Hi,

In late August I took a ride from Bristol to Exeter and then on the line from Exeter to Barnstaple, stopping overnight somewhere along the latter stretch. Went onward to Barnstaple the following day and had an enjoyable 3 or 4 hours there.

I took a look in the church of St. Peter & St. Mary Magdalene and observed the fine Crang case facing the nave from the choir and also noted the decorated pipes. Here,. for anyone who hasn't seen it, is the Crang case:

barnorg1.jpg

And a view from a different angle showing some of the pipes in the case facing the nave and some of the pipes facing the chancel:

barnorg2.jpg

Going back to that first photo, I am wondering if anyone has looked closer at the panels in the middle at the bottom of the case? I did so and found that they came open to reveal this:

barnorg3.jpg

The NPOR attributes the console in the photo above as being by Vowles but it isn't in the Vowles style when compared to the numerous other instruments by him that I have looked at. What si the age of the above console? It isn't the one in use: that is located in the choir.

Dave

Hi,

The NPOR attributes the console in the photo above as being by Vowles but it isn't in the Vowles style when compared to the numerous other instruments by him that I have looked at. What si the age of the above console? It isn't the one in use: that is located in the choir.

Dave

I think Lance Foy/Michael Farley rebuilt it last - a contact with one of them might get the required info.

AJJ

Having lived in North Devon, I have got to know this organ, and have found a booklet about it produced by the church. The records between Crang and Vowles, and between Vowles and Farley, seem to be fairly difficult to track; at least the writers of the book don't seem to have much idea about it. Indeed, apart from that made by Crang, they are unsure of the provenacne of most of the pipework.