Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pulling Out The Stops

Peter Clark

Did amybody hear this programme, featuring the Vienna Court Organist Martin Haselbock? It included a performance - unaccaountably talked over - of the recently discovered Bach Choral Fantasia (can't remember the BWV number but it was 1124 or something) on an organ especially constructed for the Bach anniversary. What I am curious to know, among other things, is what tuning this instrument has. The organ in the cathedral sounded suitably pompous too. I am ashamed to say that until today I had never heard of Martin Haselbock but he seems to be pretty well-known.

Peter

Did amybody hear this programme, featuring the Vienna Court Organist Martin Haselbock? It included a performance - unaccaountably talked over - of the recently discovered Bach Choral Fantasia (can't remember the BWV number but it was 1124 or something) on an organ especially constructed for the Bach anniversary. What I am curious to know, among other things, is what tuning this instrument has. The organ in the cathedral sounded suitably pompous too. I am ashamed to say that until today I had never heard of Martin Haselbock but he seems to be pretty well-known.

Peter

It's BWV 1128, see http://www.echomusik.com/detalj_helsida.php?artikel_id=5744 and for details of the programme see

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/proginfo/.../wk38/tue.shtml (and scroll well down).

Peter

The Bach anniversary organ in Vienna is the organ in St Augustine build by Reil (The Netherlands). Tuning is listed as Werckmeister (modified), and the organ is of the historically inspired ilk. Brings back memories of concerts on both it and the big Rieger in the gallery. Sigh.

A pretty picture and the specifications can be viewed at:

http://www.hochamt.at/augustines.php?sublink=f3

A (very) quick translation of the accompanying text:

The Reil Organ

The small organ of St Augustine was constructed using historical building methods by the brothers Reil (Heerde/Holland) for the Vienna Festival that celebrated the 300th anniversary of Bach's birth (the year of Bach's birth is given as 1785 on the web site, whoops) and dedicated by the then Archbishop of Vienna, Dr Franz Kardinal Koenig.

It combines, in its two manuals and 25 stops, characteristic elements of the art of organ building in Bach's time, above all those of the organ builders Gottfried Silbermann and Tobias Trost. The selection of material and functions allows one to experience the sound world of Bach, and for that reason the organ is also known as the "Vienna Bach Organ". It is situated in St Augustine's, and is used both in services and organ concerts.

At the bottom of the specification, it is noted that the lowest c-sharp has no independent pipework, instead being coupled to the c-sharp an octave higher. I'd prefer a real short octave instead - I used to enjoy playing chords with my left hand that I can't reach on 'normal' manuals!

Guest Nigel ALLCOAT
I am ashamed to say that until today I had never heard of Martin Haselbock but he seems to be pretty well-known.

Peter

Martin is the highly regarded and most talented son of Hans - one of the great teachers and jury members of the organ and competitions in Europe and beyond. Martin, who follows in his father's illustrious footsteps and who also makes perhaps further musical paths in our day and age, was engaged by James Parsons in the very early days of the Oundle course and broadcast for the BBC from the School Chapel.

These belong to the guiding lights of the organ world.

All the best,

Nigel.