Mander Organ Builders Forum

Daniel Roth - Dupré Cd

handsoff

I've just been listening to Daniel Roth's peerless (IMHO) recordings from St. Sulpice of the 3 Ps & Fs op.7 and the Variations sur un Noel op 20 (Motette CD 12581).

At the end of the final Variation, Presto, the last chords are played with the addition of a sublime and very big manual reed. Would anyone who knows the organ and recording please be able to say if this is the solo Chamade? It is a wonderfully rounded sound and quite unlike some of the other Chamades in the neighbourhood.

I ask only out of general interest as I like to listen to some recordings with the organ specification on hand and see what registrations are used, approximately anyway!

Thank you

Peter

Thank you acc. I'm fairly sure that's it, but the sound of the organ is quite different from the console than in the nave, of course.

That is a fascinating clip, especially the first few seconds when M.Roth is operating the ventils - also another masterly improvisation.

I see he's wearing the organist's essential clothing - a warm scarf! Maybe that is a tip to bear in mind for my holiday to Paris this time next year...I see it was recorded in October.

Peter

I'll try to listen to that recording as soon as I can — the only thing I can tell right now is that this reed stop is not really a chamade in the usual sense, but a reed with hooded resonators. There are pictures of it on the St-Sulpice web site here and here, and they can clearly be heard on this video at 2:44. Definitely not the Cochereauesque kind of thing. ;)

I like that sort of design -- looks like a bunch of monks on a choir screen trying desperately to catch a view of the ladies present in the nave.

Best,

Friedrich

The stop can be heard rather more clearly on the CD of Jean-Jacques Grünenwald improvising at S. Sulpice. The first track is an extra; the recording engineers asked him to demonstrate the Trompette Harmonique (à forte pression).

In any case, this disc is well worth purchasing, since it displays the considerable improvisational talent of M. Grünenwald in a variety of styles - and with a harmonic language quite different to his predecessor or successor - or even Cochereau.

If anyone is interested, it is available on the Motette label: CD MOT 10521.

I am no expert on these matters but if it is the stop in question used at the end of Op.20 it seems unlike any other I have heard on a C-C instrument. I have today ordered the Grunenwald CD from Crotchet and shall look forward to its arrival.

The stop is referred to variously on the St. Sulpice website as "Chamade" and "Trompette coudée à forte pression". It enjoys (or we enjoy) a wind pressure of 140-150mm and there appears to be some question as to whether it is entirely a Cavaillé-Coll stop or partly from the slightly earlier Daublaine-Calline work on the organ. Much information, many photographs and even a demonstration of the Hailstorm Machine can be found here...

http://www.stsulpice.com/

There are also many links to video clips recorded there; I found this of S-V C-C playing Dupré to be one of the most thrilling...watch for the régistrant grabbing a handful of stops towards the end.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHOfP4MEfc

Guest Roffensis

Interesting.

And....... Roth actually did two Dupre discs.....now you must all rush to get both......both are superb.

Motette CD 10981

Motette CD 12581

R

Yes, but I'm afraid 10981 (recorded in 1986 to celebrate Dupré's centenary) has long been OOP. Have you found a seller (preferrably Internet) who still lists it?

I yesterday spent about 30 minutes searching around the internet and found several references to it but nowhere did a copy appear to be for sale. I was going to suggest an Ebay "product search request" or whatever it may be called which asks them to email you should the item become listed on the auction. I won't suggest this though as that would mean someone else might win it! :o

Interesting.

And....... Roth actually did two Dupre discs.....now you must all rush to get both......both are superb.

Motette CD 10981

Motette CD 12581

R

The disc of Daniel Roth playing Liszt (at S. Sulpice) is also excellent. I can supply the serial number (it is also on the Motette label) later, after I return from school, if anyone is interested.

... I shall take up pcnd's suggestion and use up more of my increasingly scarce shelf space. :rolleyes:

Please let me know when you have listened to the CD of Jean_Jacques Grünenwald improvising at S. Sulpice (recorded the year before he died). I would be interested to know what you think of it. I must admit that I regard it as superior to that of DR improvising at Sacré-Coeur, which I find a little dull and less inspired - certainly not in the same league as Cochereau.

• 3 weeks later...

The disc arrived last Friday and I now have played it three times. I wasn't previously especially familiar with Grunenwald's improvisations and regret that I didn't know about his skills earlier - what a treat I had missed. I found the music more alive than some of DR's from Sacré-Coeur, although a couple of the tracks on that CD are quite superb. I bought the Sacré-Coeur CD more to hear the instrument rather than any specific music and in that respect it works well as DR uses such a variety of colours that a decent impression of the organ is gained.

Back to the Grunenwald disc, I especially liked the Suite sur le "Salve Regina". The improvisations are intensely musical and become more exciting as the suite progresses. The end of the Chaconne is just stunning; the effect of that wonderful Bombarde 32' in the lower registers is almost overwhelming - probably to my entire neighbourhoood. Thank you, once again, for the recommendation...

I am now sure that the solo reed on the "bonus track" - track 8, is that used at the end of the Dupré Variations - it's less of the usual French chamade and more like a big Tuba. Incidentally, I have just returned from hearing David Saint play the Dupré in Birmingham Town Hall - it sounded terrific on that instrument, the Tuba Mirabilis and the Bombardon 32' being brought on to great effect for the final phrase.

In the same post came a budget price (£4.88) Priory disc from St. Ouen; "Abbey Spectacular", PRCD 5032, recorded by Gerard Brooks in 2007. It's a "These You have Loved" compilation of French favourites and well worth the modest price (and more) if you enjoy the glorious sound that instrument makes. It's just the job for the car and a copy will be added to my stacker tomorrow.

Daniel Roth gave a superb recital yesterday on the Mander organ in St Peters Church, St Albans.

One of the best recitals I've ever been to - he played an all French programme from Boely through to Falcinelli and one of his own compositions - each piece played with heady pianistic virtuosity! - and Sulplician pauses!!! (shame about the dead acoustics). Pdf programme here.

The organ sounded remarkable! Very convincing in a programme that was stridently romantic French music - from the fairly English looking specification you would not believe how well the organ sounded.

....after such a recital that would have exhausted/killed many...he planned to catch a 6am flight to be at St Sulpice to play for the 10:30 mass!!!