Mander Organ Builders Forum

Digital Recorders

Jim Treloar

I know that there was an earlier thread regarding Edirol and Zoom recorders and after seeing an Edirol in use recently, I was interested to hear from the owner that the sound quality is superb. I now intend to get one. I have a question for those using them - is it possible to connect them directly to a HiFi CD recorder, preferably by an optical lead, or is it only possible to download into a PC, if so what software does one use. Any information on this topic would be gratefully received.

I know that there was an earlier thread regarding Edirol and Zoom recorders and after seeing an Edirol in use recently, I was interested to hear from the owner that the sound quality is superb. I now intend to get one. I have a question for those using them - is it possible to connect them directly to a HiFi CD recorder, preferably by an optical lead, or is it only possible to download into a PC, if so what software does one use. Any information on this topic would be gratefully received.

The original thread is here.

I have an H4 winging its way to me as I speak. I'm intending to use GarageBand/Logic/Sound Studio on my 'Mac' (a proper computer!!) depending on what I want to do with the recording. I haven't got any experience of plugging straight into a HiFi player. I did a lot of research (including using people's views on this forum, very useful, thank you) and no one had a bad word for it, and it seemed to be prefereable to the Edirol.

Time will tell..........

PS I think there is an issue with which SD card you use, again, will let you know.

I have been using the Edirol R09 for a year and a half and it is a wonderful unit. The sound quality is simply excellent. This review is quite good and explains better than me:

http://transom.org/tools/recording_intervi...703_edirol_r09/

the review is out of date regarding sd cards. Mine has a 4GB card, which gives 4 1/4 hours recording time at 24bit 44khz.

I don't know much about HiFi CD recorders, so can't comment apart from saying that you must be able to connect them together and the R09 does have optical out. I always put my recordings onto my PC for editing and general tweaking and I use Wavelab, though Audacity is superb and free.

Peter

Hi

I've not noticed any of the current batch of portable digital recorders with an optical output - just analogue line out. They are intended to download to a computer for editting, etc. My CD recorder rarely gets used these days, except when I've done a "quick and dirty" archive recording on Minidisc and want to drop it direct to CD - and for that I have to use a "Hi-Fi" MD machine that does have Optical out.

Every Blessing

Tony

I purchased a Zoom H2 last xmas, and up to now it has performed very well, I do not think there is a great deal of difference between edirol (roland) and any of the other handheld digital recording devices. I have succesfully recorded in Liverpool (both of them) and Durham cathedrals, amongs many, (all with permision) and it has never missed a beat. I use Soundforge 8, which is a great editing tool, and the recitalists have all comented on how clear the sound is. Ok, it is not up to the soundfield which the "pro's" use, but for only £125, well,,,,,,

Peter

I have been using the Edirol R09 for a year and a half and it is a wonderful unit. The sound quality is simply excellent. This review is quite good and explains better than me:

http://transom.org/tools/recording_intervi...703_edirol_r09/

the review is out of date regarding sd cards. Mine has a 4GB card, which gives 4 1/4 hours recording time at 24bit 44khz.

I don't know much about HiFi CD recorders, so can't comment apart from saying that you must be able to connect them together and the R09 does have optical out. I always put my recordings onto my PC for editing and general tweaking and I use Wavelab, though Audacity is superb and free.

Peter

Yes, I quite agree. My Edirol 09 is a fantastic piece of equipment and records superbly. My only criticism is the silly flap at the bottom which has to be released to get at the SD card, batteries and USB connection. The flap is a poor design, and has already broken on mine, although that in no way interferes with the use of the unit.