Mander Organ Builders Forum

All Souls Church Bolton

allsoulsbolton

Have you any memories that you can share of your visit at the All Souls church Bolton???

Any old Photo's of the church or the fantastic organ being played???

Please check us out at the following website : www.allsoulsbolton.org.uk

email me on omarjii@hotmail.com to share any news or views

kind regards

Edited by moderator to reduce font size from humungous to normal.

Having said all of that, it looks as if this church is going to come to a sticky end..... :):D

With respect, it came to a sticky end twenty years ago. This is the first viable proposal to emerge with any prospect of success. The £3M lottery cash is also intended to preserve the church fittings. I'm hoping that includes the Abbott organ.

IFB

With respect, it came to a sticky end twenty years ago. This is the first viable proposal to emerge with any prospect of success. The £3M lottery cash is also intended to preserve the church fittings. I'm hoping that includes the Abbott organ.

IFB

I hope the organ is safe as well, if the church fittings are preserved surely this includes the organ, but what use will it get?

I hope the organ is safe as well, if the church fittings are preserved surely this includes the organ, but what use will it get?

Good point. It's hardly an area of Guardian-/Church Times-reading concert goers (I'm not being a snob, I grew up there :) ), but with imaginative leadership and a good education programme, it might get a new lease of life. Alternatively, the organ could join the queue of excellent Victorian instruments seeking a new home. Alas my study's a bit too small... :D (and it really does fill the 1000-seater church with sound!)

IFB

I have just had a look at the details of this organ and could, possibly find a home for it tomorrow as I have spent the last year looking for a suitable redundant instrument for a largish church in this area. It has to be tracker action, of good tonal quality and be a large two or smallish three manual. I was brought up with an Isaac Abbott organ in Halifax and they are always good tonally. Surprisingly, there seems to be very little in the way of largish tracker action organs in need of good homes. If this organ does need a home please let me know. Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to play it regularly - each time I went bellringing there. Quite enjoyable to play

It used to be quite playable but recently I think the damp has got to it and there are many cyphers. The blower etc. is still connected.

Sam

I have just had a look at the details of this organ and could, possibly find a home for it tomorrow as I have spent the last year looking for a suitable redundant instrument for a largish church in this area. It has to be tracker action, of good tonal quality and be a large two or smallish three manual. I was brought up with an Isaac Abbott organ in Halifax and they are always good tonally. Surprisingly, there seems to be very little in the way of largish tracker action organs in need of good homes. If this organ does need a home please let me know. Rob.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...