Mander Organ Builders Forum

Taragonna Cathedral

edbowie

The organ in Tarragona's Cathedral was completely dismantled and a new organ will be built by Verschueren Orgelbaw. That's all the information I have about the new organ to be built.

The existing pipe work and other parts of the organ, including the soundboards, have been kept for the future use, in case the decide to build a new organ using that material or reconstructing the Aeolian organ the they belonged to.

The cases in the chapels are the pipes for that organ. There still are some more pipes, stored somewhere else in the Cathedral, that belonged to the organ. Those were removed/discarded by the extint OESA organ builders when they did the last refurbishment.

I hope this clarifies your questions.

Santiago Munoz

It is good to know that the pipes removed in 1973 were not all discarded. I have tracked down the name of the person who owned the Aeolian organ. It was Charles Deering an American millionaire and art collector who had an Aeolian residence organ in his summer home in Sitges (El Palau Mar i Cel) that he bought and enlarged in 1912 (the building not the organ). He died in 1927 and so it was most probably his wife Marion Denison Deering who donated the organ to the Cathedral.

The Organ Archives at Princeton are currently looking up the opus number for an original specification, but I suspect Aeolian enlarged it when they installed it in the Cathedral in 1929.

• 3 months later...
Guest Voix Mystique
From a remark once made by Musing Muso I gather that Organería Española Sociedad Anónima (OESA) were not highly regarded, to put it mildly. Can anyone explain/amplify please?

VH, I have encountered two of their biggest - their amalgamation of the Echeveria (spelling?) organs at San Lorenzo del Escorial, and at Valle de los Caidos, where Franco is buried. Once you set a combination of stops using the pistons on the latter instrument, the only way of making ANY registrational changes was to turn off the entire organ and hand-register from scratch. The Escorial instrument is problematic in that it [.. part deleted by moderator.] is all on electric action from a console miles from any part of the organ in this vast Baroque church with, yes, you guessed it, a simply enormous dome at the crossing. The lag time between pressing a note on the console and hearing it sound at least was - back in 1995 - somewhere in the region of five seconds. The acoustic is simply enormous.

Rather more happily, on the same holiday, I encountered the gorgeous - and totally unaltered - Cavaillé-Colls in San Sebastian. There are two more such instruments in surrounding villages which, sadly, we did not have time to visit.