Mander Organ Builders Forum

The Grand Organ Of York Minster

DQB123

I was very pleased to see, awaiting me on my doorstep, a packet from Priory Records -- the new (long awaited) DVD from York Minster. I've had a brief look at it and without doubt there'll be long hours of viewing pleasure. Priory are spoiling us! :blink:

I was very pleased to see, awaiting me on my doorstep, a packet from Priory Records -- the new (long awaited) DVD from York Minster. I've had a brief look at it and without doubt there'll be long hours of viewing pleasure. Priory are spoiling us! :)

Where's mine?!

My wife sent off for it weeks ago (for my birthday in August!).

Do tell us what's on it.

Ah, here it is!

I've had the chance this evening to watch parts of it, and I think it is well worth buying. The playing was admirable and Richard McVeigh's page-turning excellent!

Now can we have the one from King's, please. (This guy's never satisfied!)

Guest Roffensis

A new recording of the York organ has been issued by Regent in the English Cathedral Organ Series. This is a must have, with a highly interesting programme (JSW).

Like all Regent discs, it is properly pressed.

Are you trying to say that ONE of the big companies are using cdr's :rolleyes:

One of our colleages said they are, whether thats right or not, I am not sure

Peter

Nimbus do a make-to-order service using CD-Rs, originally for themselves, but now available to other companies. As one of the first companies to manufacture CDs at all, they do know a bit about it.

Paul

Ah, here it is!

I've had the chance this evening to watch parts of it, and I think it is well worth buying. The playing was admirable and Richard McVeigh's page-turning excellent!

Now can we have the one from King's, please. (This guy's never satisfied!)

How much of me can you see?? I haven't seen this yet...! As for the Regent recording, I actually play a few notes in the Dupre, I wonder if you can tell which ones. I also haven't heard this recording yet, but its a good programme of some unknown stuff, and the Cochereau Symphonie which John transcribed is definatlely worth hearing.

How much of me can you see?? I haven't seen this yet...! As for the Regent recording, I actually play a few notes in the Dupre, I wonder if you can tell which ones. I also haven't heard this recording yet, but its a good programme of some unknown stuff, and the Cochereau Symphonie which John transcribed is definatlely worth hearing.

Good heavens. If I were ever in that position the first thing I would do is have a look, only to put my mind at rest that my fly wasn't open!

Incidentally, in the programme notes it mentions that the new Cymbelstern (featured in the Mushel) is electronic! Does that mean that York Minster is now a hybrid instrument?!

Should anyone be interested, the programme comprises:

1. Toccata in B flat minor - Vierne

2. Adagio - Albinoni/Giazotto

3. Medio Registro Alto, Premier Tono - Peraza

4. Scherzo in E - Gigout

5. Toccata in B minor - Gigout

6. Variations on a Theme by Paganini for Pedals - Thalben-Ball

7. Prelude on York Tune - Wood

8. Fantasia in F minor KV608 - Mozart

9. Imperial March - Elgar

10. Fiat Lux - Dubois

11. Rosace - Mulet

12. Fugue sur le Carillon des Heures - Durufle

13. Toccata - Mushel

14. Improvisation sur Haec Dies - Cochereau

Should anyone be interested, the programme comprises:

1. Toccata in B flat minor - Vierne

2. Adagio - Albinoni/Giazotto

3. Medio Registro Alto, Premier Tono - Peraza

4. Scherzo in E - Gigout

5. Toccata in B minor - Gigout

6. Variations on a Theme by Paganini for Pedals - Thalben-Ball

7. Prelude on York Tune - Wood

8. Fantasia in F minor KV608 - Mozart

9. Imperial March - Elgar

10. Fiat Lux - Dubois

11. Rosace - Mulet

12. Fugue sur le Carillon des Heures - Durufle

13. Toccata - Mushel

14. Improvisation sur Haec Dies - Cochereau

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Peraza please?

AJJ

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the Peraza please?

One source of the Peraza is the book "Organa Hispanica Heft 5: Neun Tientos de medio registro" from the Süddeutscher Musikverlag, now distributed by Bärenreiter. You will find it at the website of Bärenreiter making a full text search with the edition number SM2235.

Cheers,

tiratutti

Incidentally, in the programme notes it mentions that the new Cymbelstern (featured in the Mushel) is electronic! Does that mean that York Minster is now a hybrid instrument?!

Depends on what it means by 'electric', its certianly not a speaker if thats what you mean? I took some pictures of it before I became a southerner...

upthetower160708070sy5.jpg

upthetower160708080sf5.jpg

Depends on what it means by 'electric', its certianly not a speaker if thats what you mean? I took some pictures of it before I became a southerner...

Thanks for these Richard, what a cool view of the organ case and console! :rolleyes:

Nice picture, but, uhm, where exactly is the 'stern'?

Veilleicht es ein Zimbelkoffer ist?

'C'

At least it certainly isn't 'electronic'!

Thanks Richard.

A very enlightening view, showing the reflectors and other interesting detail. I hadn't realised that the screen pedal also had reflectors. An electrically driven set of bells I can live with, although the sleeve notes definitely said 'electronic'!

Sorry to trouble you with more questions, but is that a couple of the new Bombarde pipes I can see peeping over the curtain in front of the Solo? In that case, is it mitred rather than en chamade? Finally, what is the longer box with white 'dots' in front of the Cimbelstern?

My copy of the DVD arrived yesterday and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not least my slight amusement at counting the number of different shirts seen at and around the console during the course of recording! Very well recorded and an excellent programme very well played.

Increasingly I find DVDs like this very useful as a teaching aid so that students can watch how real experts sit at, and handle, a console whilst making it all look so easy. To me, close ups of the player actually playing are more interesting and beneficial than views of the building it is in. I find exactly the same with Graham Barber's excellent DVD of Armley and the Reubke Sonata and the James Lancelot one of the Elgar Sonata at Durham. Hopefully recording companies will produce lots more of these/

Not everybody has the benefit of a helper to push pistons at vital moments but not everybody has a console the size of the one at York. Who was the "other" page turner?

Malcolm

I just purchased my copy from "banks music shop" in York, and what a marvellous sound Priory have caught. The whole presentation is superb from the well laid out cover ( minus any spelling mistakes for a change ;) to the views around the Minster. JSW looked the part too, nice suit Richard,,,, but no tie? tut tut

Peter