Mander Organ Builders Forum

Pierre Cocohereau - 25th Anniversary

handsoff

I received this today from Solstice.

COCHEREAU 2009

Next year, Cochereau will have passed away 25 years ago. This significant figure of the French Organ tradition, forever recognized as the 'Organist of Notre-Dame' was not only an unrivalled improvisator of his time. He was also a music school headmaster entirely devoted to the education of young people - at such an extent that he left his health and possibly his life in this activity.

Almost everything has been written about this outstanding figure. As a result, I planned to celebrate this anniversary in a different way. I chose to gather on a single record four musicians belonging to different generations and cultures, and sharing a common wish to make an hommage to Cochereau, each one in his own language.

Those four renowned organists are the Texan George C. Baker, the Englishman David Briggs, finally the French Loïc Mallié and his young fellow-countryman the composer Thierry Escaich.

They will improvise on four instruments having, at a various extent, a relationship with the itinerary of the great Pierre: Saint-Roch and Saint-Sulpice in Paris, Saint-Pothin in Lyons, and of course Roquevaire.

The issue of the record is scheduled for March, 2009.

Yvette CARBOU

Edit...Apologies for typo in the heading. This does not appear possible to edit...

I received this today from Solstice.

COCHEREAU 2009

Next year, Cochereau will have passed away 25 years ago. This significant figure of the French Organ tradition, forever recognized as the 'Organist of Notre-Dame' was not only an unrivalled improvisator of his time. He was also a music school headmaster entirely devoted to the education of young people - at such an extent that he left his health and possibly his life in this activity.

Almost everything has been written about this outstanding figure. As a result, I planned to celebrate this anniversary in a different way. I chose to gather on a single record four musicians belonging to different generations and cultures, and sharing a common wish to make an hommage to Cochereau, each one in his own language.

Those four renowned organists are the Texan George C. Baker, the Englishman David Briggs, finally the French Loïc Mallié and his young fellow-countryman the composer Thierry Escaich.

They will improvise on four instruments having, at a various extent, a relationship with the itinerary of the great Pierre: Saint-Roch and Saint-Sulpice in Paris, Saint-Pothin in Lyons, and of course Roquevaire.

The issue of the record is scheduled for March, 2009.

Yvette CARBOU

Edit...Apologies for typo in the heading. This does not appear possible to edit...

Unstead of beeing almost obliged to compare 4 different styles of improvisation and 4 different styles of organ making, I would prefer to listen to other unpublished Cochereau's impros...

Strangely enough, nor Philippe Lefebvre, nor Pierre Pincemaille will participate in this recording...and the same for the NDP organ!!

A part from that I don't question the talent of the 4 organists choosen for this CD.