Mander Organ Builders Forum

St Pauls Cathedral

DouglasCorr

My memory of the Dome ensemble was that the Cymbale was the dominant voice, this has now gone leaving (with the new reeds) a very well integrated sound.

Personally, I regret the alteration of this mixture. In a building of this size (and with that particular acoustic), the organ appeared to benefit from the brightness of the old Cymbal.

I was surprised to read that the mobile console was donated the the son of the late Harry Gabb, sub-organist from 1946 to '74. Now that's some donation!

DT

This is interesting; I was taught by Harry Gabb for a while as a student. This must have cost a considerable sum indeed.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cymbal III (29.33.36) has been gone for quite some time, replaced by Mixture III (22.26.29) toward the end of the 1990s I think. Why this was done, considering the duplication of the mixtures already there, seems also strange to me. I also think the flue chorus now lacks a certain 'brightness'. Certainly the Dome is now resolutely 'reed' dominated, perhaps the idea of the planned-for new stop (perhaps a large Sesquialtera) may tip the balance back a little bit?

• 1 month later...
So, now the work is complete, what are the chances of a Manders Forum Members meet and play at St Paul's? (That's St Paul's London - although you're all always welcome at St Paul's Birmingham!!)

A late at night lock-in to avoid those tourists and guided tours mentioned in the broadcast... and so that we could sample the new dome reeds! Is this sort of thing ever done there?

no chance?

maybe?

possibly?

I have booked an evening in the Cathedral exclusively for Mander website users - Wednesday 25th March 2009, 19.00-20.30. This will take the form of a demonstration of the various features of the instrument, including the new dome reeds, and will culminate in a performance of Cocker's Tuba Tune using, at some point or other, every Tuba in the building. For health and safety reasons (primarily my own: the organ tuner would never forgive me) it will not be possible to clamber about inside the instrument.

I will meet all that are interested outside Paul Coffee House - to the left of the steps as you face the Cathedral - at 19.00 (needless to say, please don't be late or you won't be able to gain access to the building).

I do need to know numbers for security reasons so please would you reply to this posting indicating that you would like to attend.

I hope that this will be of interest.

Simon Johnson

Organist & Assistant Director of Music, St Paul's Cathedral

I have booked an evening in the Cathedral exclusively for Mander website users - Wednesday 25th March 2009, 19.00-20.30.

Simon Johnson

What an exciting evening that looks - sorry not to be able to attend. I wonder Simon whether it might be a good idea to start a new thread with this under a new topic title just in case it gets lost in the board somehow? It would be a shame if people missed out on your generous offer - esp the prospect of hearing all the tubas in one piece!

I've replied mentioning this simply to "bump" the topic back to the top of the list.

Best wishes

Richard

Nick Bennett -" And it's yet another sign that the organ's profile is on the rise at the BBC."

I wonder which is cheaper to broadcast: an orchestra of a hundred or so players, or a single organist with a hundred or so stops? Not that I'm complaining mind you ...

My wife says that I'm a cynic. I say that I'm an organist. "That's what I said" she replies.

:rolleyes:

Chris Baker

Durham UK

I have booked an evening in the Cathedral exclusively for Mander website users - Wednesday 25th March 2009, 19.00-20.30. This will take the form of a demonstration of the various features of the instrument, including the new dome reeds, and will culminate in a performance of Cocker's Tuba Tune using, at some point or other, every Tuba in the building. For health and safety reasons (primarily my own: the organ tuner would never forgive me) it will not be possible to clamber about inside the instrument.

I will meet all that are interested outside Paul Coffee House - to the left of the steps as you face the Cathedral - at 19.00 (needless to say, please don't be late or you won't be able to gain access to the building).

I do need to know numbers for security reasons so please would you reply to this posting indicating that you would like to attend.

Simon Johnson

Fantastic! :rolleyes:

Many thanks - absolutely count me in!

P.

Guest Roffensis

Personally, I regret the alteration of this mixture. In a building of this size (and with that particular acoustic), the organ appeared to benefit from the brightness of the old Cymbal.

I know where you are coming form here, but IMHO it "stood away" from the rest, and was too "tinkly".

I think it was an honest attempt to help the organ carry, but it did not really blend.

No organ will ever combat that acoustic anyway, no matter how much upperwork is available to use, and how bright it may be!

R

"Personally, I regret the alteration of this mixture. In a building of this size (and with that particular acoustic), the organ appeared to benefit from the brightness of the old Cymbal. "

(Quote)

That is good news, as we wonder here in Belgium what to do with some hundreds mixtures from the sixties

that will have to be removed in the coming years; we have a potential customer for them... :huh:

Pierre

Simon Johnson

Hi Simon,

This sounds a great idea! Please count me + wife in for 25 March

Mike

"Personally, I regret the alteration of this mixture. In a building of this size (and with that particular acoustic), the organ appeared to benefit from the brightness of the old Cymbal. "

(Quote)

That is good news, as we wonder here in Belgium what to do with some hundreds mixtures from the sixties

that will have to be removed in the coming years; we have a potential customer for them... :o

Pierre

Strange - I thought that you were in favour of leaving every instrument in its current state of preservation, making only the most necessary of repairs in order to allow it to be played. Now it looks as if you are advocating the wholesale destruction of many ranks of pipes.

Or am I mistaken, Pierre?

Strange - I thought that you were in favour of leaving every instrument in its current state of preservation, making only the most necessary of repairs in order to allow it to be played. Now it looks as if you are advocating the wholesale destruction of many ranks of pipes.

Or am I mistaken, Pierre?

Of course, genuine 1960 organs must be left with their mixtures, do we like it or not; I talk about

those 1880 Schyvens, 1900 Van Bevers etc who have had their Voix céleste sawn to 2', their Aeoline 4',

Great Gambas etc replaced with those Mixtures, more powerfull than the trumpets.

Pierre