Mander Organ Builders Forum

Canterbury Cathedral Evensong 5/11/08

Guest Roffensis

Guest Roffensis

Did any one hear today's Choral Evensong from Canterbury Cathedral? As ever, the Choir were in top form, proving they are right up among the very best of Cathedral Choirs, all credit to David Flood, and the new Asssistant Organist John Robinson was in marvellous form too. The Cathedral Organ sounded glorious as ever, and he used a wonderful array of colour. His accompaniment of the psalms was pure gold!! True word painting, not heard done so well very often.

The broadscast is repeated this sunday.

R

Did any one hear today's Choral Evensong from Canterbury Cathedral? As ever, the Choir were in top form, proving they are right up among the very best of Cathedral Choirs, all credit to David Flood, and the new Asssistant Organist John Robinson was in marvellous form too. [...]

The broadscast is repeated this sunday.

R

It is, but is available of course at any time for the next seven days on BBC iPlayer.

• 2 weeks later...

It was indeed a corker, and attracted quite a bit of interest up in these parts - John Robinson having made quite a mark at Carlisle and having been missed sorely upon his departure for Canterbury.

It's probably been said elsewhere, but the only thing that put me off were the Psalms. I actually began to feel sea-sick with all the sudden pauses on words. David Flood probably has his reasons for doing it that way, but as I always tell my choristers - "would you really do that if you were simply saying the words out loud?"

It's probably been said elsewhere, but the only thing that put me off were the Psalms. I actually began to feel sea-sick with all the sudden pauses on words.

Yes. Nicely sung though the psalms were, the pauses did come over as rather mannered.

I must admit that I do like slight stresses on important syllables. However, I learnt the hard way that it is something that needs constant vigilence, because, unless checked, a choir that is used to such stresses will allow them to become longer and longer until they develop into a mannerism. Not saying that this is necessarily what has happened at Canterbury. Psalm singing is a very personal thing.

Guest Roffensis
It was indeed a corker, and attracted quite a bit of interest up in these parts - John Robinson having made quite a mark at Carlisle and having been missed sorely upon his departure for Canterbury.

It's probably been said elsewhere, but the only thing that put me off were the Psalms. I actually began to feel sea-sick with all the sudden pauses on words. David Flood probably has his reasons for doing it that way, but as I always tell my choristers - "would you really do that if you were simply saying the words out loud?"

I love emphasis in chanting, and when reading in church have also emphasised certain words. That doesn't really apply of course. Even so, I think it is a very Anglican way of doing things, and I relished every second of this braodcast. Great stuff.

R