Mander Organ Builders Forum

Desert Island Discs (sort Of...)

handsoff

Mrs Handsoff last night asked me, and I paraphrase slightly, "If you were on a desert island and could take as many discs as you want but featuring only one organ, which would it be?" I think she has realised that quite a substantial number of my collection feature one particular instrument....

[i ascertained that I could have a top flight hi-fi on which to play them.]

I'm sure most members of this board have a favourite - over to you.

Peter

Mrs Handsoff last night asked me, and I paraphrase slightly, "If you were on a desert island and could take as many discs as you want but featuring only one organ, which would it be?" ... I'm sure most members of this board have a favourite - over to you.

Peter

Hm. There is lots of worthy stuff, but I venture to choose something quite recent -- if I couldn't take this (it's 19 CDs, actually) I'd turn to this bit out of it. Incredibly beautiful playing, instrument, and recording. Would still leave me longing for the Leipzig chorales or the trio sonatas ... or even for this one, which I only just received for reviewing.

Best

Friedrich

Mrs Handsoff last night asked me, and I paraphrase slightly, "If you were on a desert island and could take as many discs as you want but featuring only one organ, which would it be?" I think she has realised that quite a substantial number of my collection feature one particular instrument....

[i ascertained that I could have a top flight hi-fi on which to play them.]

I'm sure most members of this board have a favourite - over to you.

Peter

For me it would have to be Salisbury Cathedral organ. A strange choice given the wide range of repertoire that one would be listening too I suppose. Having said that, it is great for the British romantic stuff, can do French 19th/20th very well (listen to Colin Walsh's Priory recordings), and isn't too bad with Bach!

Richard

If I could only take one PICTURE with me it would have to be of St Bavo's in Haarlem, and I think that I would choose the same instrument for my discs. In spite of what Marcussen did it's a beautiful instrument and there are many excellent recordings of a wide variety of organ music.

There is an instrument which I like even better, at the Evangelisch-Lutherse church in the Hague, but there are few recordings available at present. If there are enough new disks available before I'm marooned, I would choose that instrument instead.

If I could only take one PICTURE with me it would have to be of St Bavo's in Haarlem, and I think that I would choose the same instrument for my discs. In spite of what Marcussen did it's a beautiful instrument and there are many excellent recordings of a wide variety of organ music.

I think most people would agree that the Bavokerk instrument is housed in an exceptional case (and sounds good).

I also like the main case at Passau Cathedral which, I believe, is contemporary with the Haarlem instrument (though the contents are not as historic). It was enhanced, very artistically I think, round about 1980 with the addition of a Hauptwerk case which looks as if it is part of the original design. Although the proportions are somewhat different, the decorations and the case as a whole are, in my opinion, on a par with Haarlem.