Mander Organ Builders Forum

Come Out, Come Out, Whoever You Are!

themythes

Guest Patrick Coleman
Unfortunately, I realized this a couple of days ago, and removed that link on my profile last Saturday.

Would there be anything to be said for making these forums readable only by members?

We had that discussion a while ago, when I pointed out that it took me over a year of lurking before plucking up the courage to become a member. There was evidence that a number of current members felt the same. I would suspect also that some of those who have chosen to terminate their membership still lurk and benefit from the discussions that are taking place.

Paranoia - even when partly justified - is a very destructive thing. :(

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I realized this a couple of days ago, and removed that link on my profile last Saturday.

Would there be anything to be said for making these forums readable only by members?

Or, at least, profiles accessible only to those we choose to allow (presumably members only - unless of course, one were to receive unwelcome and unsolicited PMs, etc). As far as I know, I am able to do this (or something similar) on Facebook.

In the context of the Internet/web, caution is definitely the better part of valour. Messages posted on this forum have made their way here via servers around the world, some of them in countries with worrying plans for electronic surveillance and summary "retribution".

Rachel Mawhood

Webmaster, Mander Organs

The U.S. (CIA) has had this in place for years - and monitors every e-mail and other electonic 'exchanges'. The software is set to warn those monitoring it should it be triggered by certain words, combinations of words or key phrases.

Guest Patrick Coleman
Or, at least, profiles accessible only to those we choose to allow (presumably members only - unless of course, one were to receive unwelcome and unsolicited PMs, etc). As far as I know, I am able to do this (or something similar) on Facebook.

That would make a lot of sense. I think there are other forums where this is done. And yes, you can choose who sees your details on Facebook.

Of course, if you are properly paranoid, there are people who can bypass security protocols... :(

The U.S. (CIA) [...] monitors every e-mail and other electronic 'exchanges'.

And you believe this? Pah! Paranoia can be a problem in its own right.

I know bad things happen on the Internet; but bad things happen all over the place, and misquotations and mis-attributions can take place in printed media as well - and have. I have been continuously active on the Internet since 1991, always under my own name, and have never had any problem. But maybe that's because I'm not important or interesting enough for anyone to care about. Spam email has been a problem, as my email address is not hidden everywhere, but even that's not too bad - in any case I run an extremely effective (and free) spam filter on my email server*, so it never troubles me.

Paul

* OK, I'm a geek who runs his own server - but that's because it's also my profession, so I can do it and get it right, unlike the muppets at some ISPs.

...and summary "retribution"....

A marvellous phrase!

I quite like the idea that some gentle old ex-forum contributor is cowering in the corner of some far flung church, now not answering the door in case the powers that be have decreed that revoicing that Nazard as a Tierce was a BIG mistake, and he thought he'd got away with it before he mentioned it on a forum.....

Me? Well, I know there are plenty of you who pieced together fragments from previous posts and worked out who I was (though sharing the same name as at least four and a half other organists with some profile in this country means that not even my name is particularly helpful), and that has never been a problem (including a contributor who I was delighted to meet about a month ago). I don't mind organists knowing who I am, and if someone has managed to piece together an identity for me, I know they can really only possibly be someone with a proper connection with organs or organists, and therefore, a Gentleman. I have corresponded with a number of you by PM, and have worked with and met, the originator of this post on several occasions. You may argue that this is rather naive and trusting, but everyone I have encountered here has been very helpful with posting and suggestions, and my contributions to the organ world are more enlightened for some of the information I have rceived here. I think the odd rogue who has filtered through the system has usually been found out eventually...

Do I speak for a number of others here?

I joined this and one other 'music' forum a few years ago when I found myself and my position under a little attack, mainly ill-informed, and perhaps unintentional, but negative, nevertheless.

With those agressively pointed trumpets, be sure people with a

limited IQ (1) will see them as AK 47 guns.

(1) I suppose no name is needed here too...

Pierre

Be careful, Pierre - you do not want to alert Big Brother, now....

<_<

To be fair, they have been known to frighten people....

.... a lot.

"And having been a little chastised, they shall be greatly rewarded"

I'm really sorry if there are any who have felt cajoled or pressured into revealing their identities; I had no idea that some members of the board would feel that this was such a sensitive issue. I suspect my only reward will be to learn to follow the advice given me by a former Director of the RSCM, speaking in his rich Cornish accent "Never write to the press (or equivalent) on matters of opinion, my dear; write only about matters of fact."

Guilmant has got me really worried, though; I'm afraid, respected sir, that I haven't a clue as to who you are. Might you be among those present at the Worcester Cathedral Organ Day at the end of January?

David Harrison (possibly)

"And having been a little chastised, they shall be greatly rewarded"

I'm really sorry if there are any who have felt cajoled or pressured into revealing their identities; I had no idea that some members of the board would feel that this was such a sensitive issue. I suspect my only reward will be to learn to follow the advice given me by a former Director of the RSCM, speaking in his rich Cornish accent "Never write to the press (or equivalent) on matters of opinion, my dear; write only about matters of fact."

Guilmant has got me really worried, though; I'm afraid, respected sir, that I haven't a clue as to who you are. Might you be among those present at the Worcester Cathedral Organ Day at the end of January?

David Harrison (possibly)

No need to worry!! Sadly not able to make it to the day in January (and also to the recent TT recital, we live quite some distance away), especially having seen the old beast decline in recent years.

If I "came clean" and told you my name it would't mean a thing to you, since I am not well known in the organ world, nor am famous for any other reason. You might as well call me dulciana as my real name for all the difference it would make. I suspect this might be the reason that some others have not revealed their true identities. In any case, since this forum is a means for discussing and exchanging information/opinions, I don't really see how it matters.

Just so. Anyone interested enough in discovering my name will have done so by now - and I doubt that more than three of them were any the wiser for it. There's nothing sinister about my anonymity. It's certainly not because I fear the Hele Huggers duffing me up because of my heretical views about the foghorn - they've got a contract out on me anyway. It's just that I prefer to remain hidden from prying public eyes. There has been more than one member who has had to resign this forum because of cyber-stalking - one of them more than once.

Everyone is fully entitled to hold their opinions and express them in a civilised way but they would carry much more weight if we knew by whom they were expressed.

Being the opinionated, argumentative cuss that I am, I would suggest that depends. If someone posts information about, say, the scales of Father Willis pipework then obviously it makes a difference if you know that the poster is David Wylde. But, generally speaking, why would one want to know people's names other than to pigeon-hole them and form preconceptions? And why would one want to do that? The most humble enthusiast may be capable of a penetrating insight, just as an eminent performer may occasionally talk complete rowlocks. There is some real talent and knowledge among the members of this forum and it is by no means the unique preserve of the more eminent names. There is a maxim on internet forums: attack the post, not the poster. You could just as easily substitute the verb "revere".

I quite like the idea that some gentle old ex-forum contributor is cowering in the corner of some far flung church, now not answering the door in case the powers that be have decreed that revoicing that Nazard as a Tierce was a BIG mistake, and he thought he'd got away with it before he mentioned it on a forum.....

B)

I joined this and one other 'music' forum a few years ago when I found myself and my position under a little attack, mainly ill-informed, and perhaps unintentional, but negative, nevertheless.

I am presently wishing that I had joined the same other forum with another name, for much the same reason!

It's certainly not because I fear the Hele Huggers duffing me up because of my heretical views about the foghorn - they've got a contract out on me anyway.

Hide behind me, Vox! They've got to get to me first! *paranoia reigns supreme with HG, evidently! <_<*

The fact is:

Vox Humana = Christopher Robinson

PCND5584 = Olivier Latry

Pierre Lauwers = Hercule Poirot

Musing Muso = (Tricky, this one) Virgil Fox reincarnate in Cameron Carpenter, and

Holz Gedeckt = Lieblich Gedeckt (masquerading as her father).

Best wishes

Justadad (= insignificant father of student organist)

The fact is:

Vox Humana = Christopher Robinson

PCND5584 = Olivier Latry

Pierre Lauwers = Hercule Poirot

Musing Muso = (Tricky, this one) Virgil Fox reincarnate in Cameron Carpenter, and

Holz Gedeckt = Lieblich Gedeckt (masquerading as her father).

Best wishes

Justadad (= insignificant father of student organist)

And I'm Vox Humana's great-grandfather too! <_<

Whilst recognising the need for caution in respect of internet security (as a matter of fact I've just had a 4-figure sum fraudently taken from my current account) I still feel that it is cowardly to express an opinion without at least being prepared to put one's name to it. I'm aware that some of my own postings have been provocative, certainly opinionated, perhaps on occasion deliberately intended to provoke a reaction (although always honest opinions). I try to keep in mind the need to steer clear possible litigation, but may have flown close to the mast on occassions and am grateful for the tolerance shown by some notable parties.

I don't see that one's own degree of prominence is of any signiicance. I am a very insignificant provincial organist of no great skill, although I, like to think, a more able choir trainer and conductor. Its more a point of principal, if you believe in what you say why hide beneath an alias?

"I don't see that one's own degree of prominence is of any signiicance. I am a very insignificant provincial organist of no great skill, although I, like to think, a more able choir trainer and conductor. Its more a point of principal, if you believe in what you say why hide beneath an alias?"

Whilst in principle I, like you, tend to favour openess, it is possible to think of a couple of practical reasons which would make people wish, or even need, to resort to an alias

First, some people have day jobs and need to consider the sensitivity of their position (ie usually main source of income) or the wishes/attitudes of their employer. Not all employers display equal tolerance of people exercising the right of free expression if it is likely to produce reaction which may impact adversely on the business. It surely has to be a possibility that some people denied the opportunity to contribute under an alias would not feel able to contribute at all for fear of the possible consequences .

Secondly, I think "degree of prominence" may be significant on some occasions for not dissimilar reasons. A big name might well occasionally welcome the opportunity to express a genuinely held opinion which it would not be politic or sensible to own up to holding. If you enjoyed an international reputation and had just been the recipient of numerous plaudits for your recent all Messiaen recital, would you really want to broadcast under your own name that you found it difficult to take the music seriously and had only taken on the job of playing it because of the scale of the fee involved ?

The idea of publish and be damned is doubtless a noble ideal but sometimes people would prefer to publish without being damned as a consequence and preventing them from so doing would not necessaily be the course producing the greater public benefit.

"First, some people have day jobs and need to consider the sensitivity of their position (ie usually main source of income) or the wishes/attitudes of their employer. Not all employers display equal tolerance of people exercising the right of free expression if it is likely to produce reaction which may impact adversely on the business. It surely has to be a possibility that some people denied the opportunity to contribute under an alias would not feel able to contribute at all for fear of the possible consequences .

Secondly, I think "degree of prominence" may be significant on some occasions for not dissimilar reasons. A big name might well occasionally welcome the opportunity to express a genuinely held opinion which it would not be politic or sensible to own up to holding. If you enjoyed an international reputation and had just been the recipient of numerous plaudits for your recent all Messiaen recital, would you really want to broadcast under your own name that you found it difficult to take the music seriously and had only taken on the job of playing it because of the scale of the fee involved ?"

(Quote)

Here Brian says it all !

Let us think about it for a moment. Without deliberately wanting to be pedantic,

I think this is a philosophy issue.

If, like many people believe it, the freedom of expression is a mandatory part of the Democracy,

then we have a problem with the business.

This goes far beyond the scope of this discussion board, of course, so I won't go at lenght, but

this very acute civilisation issue concerns all of them.

Hercule.

Each to his own, say I.

For myself, I am utterly insignificant in the Organ world; I've found it to be a much nicer place when viewed from an armchair!

I stopped aspiring to be an 'eminent' organist years ago and have been much happier for it. Still love the organ as an instrument though, so I'm still reading, listening and (occasionally) playing.

Perhaps one or two members here would know who I am, but other than that I think my identity is not relevant to my occasional participation here - I really am just 'some chap'. For me, the opportunity to evaluate the post and not the poster is one of the most refreshing things about this forum.

Al

And you believe this? Pah! Paranoia can be a problem in its own right.

No - I know this.

I have a couple of friends in the security services and you may well be shocked at half the things which certain agencies are able to do; and these are only the things which they are allowed to repeat.

No - I know this.

I have a couple of friends in the security services and you may well be shocked at half the things which certain agencies are able to do; and these are only the things which they are allowed to repeat.

Oh, yes; we know that. They could tell you what you did, with whom, 2007/ 08/12 at 3.23 A.M.

But did they ever empeach any of the catastrophes that happened these last years ?

It is like driving a Porsche in a field: the best can be the ennemy of the good.

Pierre

... Secondly, I think "degree of prominence" may be significant on some occasions for not dissimilar reasons. A big name might well occasionally welcome the opportunity to express a genuinely held opinion which it would not be politic or sensible to own up to holding. If you enjoyed an international reputation and had just been the recipient of numerous plaudits for your recent all Messiaen recital, would you really want to broadcast under your own name that you found it difficult to take the music seriously and had only taken on the job of playing it because of the scale of the fee involved ? ...

Granted - but under the circumstances, one would be unlikely to be able to make any comment to this effect, and still retain anonymity.